Office of Smart Mobility and Climate Change
The Office of Smart Mobility and Climate Change works to address a statewide need to improve coordination between transportation planning and decision-making and local land use planning and decision-making.
We focus on the need for community-sensitive approaches to transportation and land use decisions as well as how sustainable transportation choices can best be made.
OSMCC also works to enhance Caltrans’ leadership role in the development and delivery of transportation projects that are consistent with community values and which therefore enjoy more public support.
To promote and participate in community-based planning that integrates land use, transportation, and community values.
Broader goals of the Office of Smart Mobility and Climate Change include:
- Affect existing Caltrans processes and functions to reflect relevant context-sensitive approaches and community values;
- Develop partnerships to enhance community-based transportation planning approaches at local, regional, and state levels;
- Develop technical and program expertise in community-based transportation planning and active public engagement techniques;
- Enhance Caltrans' leadership role by integrating community-based transportation planning approaches in the Department's planning processes;
- Move forward with transportation planning efforts and projects that enjoy public support, thus are easier to develop and deliver because of consistency with community values;
- Work at the local level to ensure that potential impacts of proposed local development to the State Highway System are avoided or mitigated.
Office of Smart Mobility and Climate Change Programs
The Office of Smart Mobility and Climate Change consists of these elements: Public Engagement, Emerging Priorities, Local Development-Intergovernmental Review (LD-IGR), Native American Liaison, Smart Mobility including Complete Streets and Smart Mobility Framework implementation, and Land-Use/Transportation Data and Tools.
Please see the webpage for these programs to learn more about their work that supports the Department’s mission, vision and goals as well as state planning priorities.
Statewide Alerts and Other Information
Transportation Planning Links
- ADA Strategic Plan (PDF)
- Bike/Ped Plan
- Climate Change Branch
- Complete Streets
- Context Sensitive Solutions
- EJ and CBTP Tool Box
- Environmental Justice & Community-Based Transportation Planning Grants Program
- Environmental Justice and Title VI Program
- Land Use/Transportation Data & Tools
- Local Development - Intergovernmental Review (LD-IGR)
- OSMCC Staff Contact List
- Smart Mobility and Active Transportation Branch
- Smart Mobility Framework
Department of Transportation
P. O. Box 942874
Sacramento, CA 94274-0001
Chief, Office of Smart Mobility and Climate Change
Caltrans Division of Transportation Planning