- Other Guidance
- Forms & Templates
- Policy Memos
- Scoping Tools
- Training On Demand
- Acronyms and Abbreviations List
- Contact SER Staff
- Questions about the SER?
- Suggestions or problems with this site, email the website coordinator or use the suggestion form.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view and print PDF files. Adobe Acrobat is required to edit online forms and save them to your computer.
Last Updated: Thursday, February 2, 2012 3:11 PM
Preliminary Environmental Analysis Report (PEAR)
The Preliminary Environmental Analysis Report (PEAR) provides the initial environmental evaluation of a project and alternatives before it is programmed. It anticipates the environmental constraints that may affect project design, alternatives, cost, schedule, and delivery. It estimates the scope, schedule, and costs associated with the subsequent environmental compliance process and it documents the assumptions and risks used to develop those estimates. When a PEAR is required, it becomes an attachment to the Project Initiation Document (PID). The text of a PEAR should be a concise (normally 5 -15 pages) and briefly outline the issues and assumptions.
A PEAR is required for STIP projects programmed with a Project Study Report – Project Development Support (PSR-PDS) PID and for which an Initial Study or Environmental Impact Report will be prepared. A PEAR is optional, but strongly recommended, for STIP projects programmed with a standard Project Study Report (PSR); categorically exempt (CE) STIP projects that require environmental technical studies; and complex SHOPP projects, especially Long Lead SHOPP projects. At its discretion, the Project Development Team may also opt to use a PEAR for CE projects without environmental technical studies or other types of SHOPP projects.
- PEAR Handbook - Guidelines for Preparation of the Preliminary Environmental Analysis Report. Download (912KB)
- Environmental Studies Request Form Download (138KB)
- Blank PEAR Format Download (140KB)
- Attachment A - PEAR Environmental Studies Checklist; Download (216KB)
- Attachment B - Blank PEAR Support Cost Matrix; Download (105KB)
- Attachment D - PEAR Environmental Commitments Cost Estimate; Download (72KB)
- Memo: Project Initiation Documents and the Preliminary Environmental Analysis Report, Kelly C. Dunlap, July 28, 2011. (772 KB)