Office of Business & Economic Opportunity (OBEO)
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans), Office of Business & Economic Opportunity (OBEO) is dedicated to increasing the participation of Small Business (SB), Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE), and Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise (DVBE) firms in both Federal and State contracting and procurement.
OBEO ensures non-discrimination in the execution of contracts and promotes positive external customer relations.
REBUILDING CALIFORNIA - Senate Bill 1
Senate Bill 1, the Road Repair and Accountability Act of 2017 invests $54 billion over the next decade to fix roads, freeways and bridges. See where the money is going at www.rebuildingca.ca.gov
Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Program (DBE)
Caltrans is committed to an overall Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) goal of 12.5 percent on its federal-funded projects based upon a race-neutral and race-conscious methodology. To learn more about how the DBE goal was established and how to obtain DBE Certification, click on the links below:
How do I...
Small Business (SB) & Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise (DVBE)
Caltrans is committed to increasing the economic opportunity and development of Small Business (SB) and Disabled Veteran Business Enterprises (DVBE) within the State of California. Caltrans is committed to an SB participation goal of 25% and DVBE goal of 5% on State funded contracts and procurement opportunities.
Visit the Department of General Services website for SB/DVBE program information such as:
- Certification Eligibility and Benefits
- Bid Opportunities
- SB/DVBE Firm Search
- Outreach and Networking Events
Caltrans is actively pursuing SB/DVBE and DBE business participation in all projects and procurement opportunities and has developed a comprehensive small business and disadvantaged business infrastructure with representatives in the twelve Caltrans districts. Please view the attachment below for the Small Business Liaison in your area.
Caltrans Availability and Disparity Study
March 21, 2017: Caltrans 2016 Availability and Disparity Study is under review.
What is an Availability and Disparity Study?
- Examines participation of minority- and women-owned businesses in public contracting
- Measures the availability of minority- and women-owned businesses for public contracts
- Assesses local marketplace conditions for small businesses and minority- and women-owned businesses
National Summer Transportation Institute
Caltrans has selected two host sites for the 2017 National Summer Transportation Institute (NSTI) Program:
- San Jose State University, Mineta Transportation Institute, will offer a three-week program for high school students beginning on June 12, 2017.
- California State University, Los Angeles Auxiliary Services, will offer a two-week program for middle school students beginning on June 19, 2017.
For more information regarding the NSTI Program, please contact Hershel Baser, Contract Manager, Office of Business and Economic Opportunity, at (916) 324-0987, or Hershel.Baser@dot.ca.gov.
DBE Supportive Services
Caltrans is planning to advertise contracts for Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Supportive Services (DBE/SS) in the northern (Districts 1, 2, 3, and 4) and central (Districts 5, 6, 9, and 10) regions of California in summer 2017.
Caltrans’ DBE/SS contractor in the southern region (Districts 7, 8, 11, and 12) is GCAP Services, Inc. For more information, visit www.dbe-advantage.com.
The purpose of DBE/SS is to increase utilization of certified DBEs and potential DBEs on Caltrans’ federal-aid highway construction and professional services projects. For more information about DBE/SS, contact Hershel Baser at (916) 324-0987, or email@example.com.
OJT Supportive Services
Statewide Alerts and Other Information
Caltrans' Contract Information
Disadvantaged Business Enterprise
Title VI Program
External Equal Opportunity Program
Reports (DBE/DVBE Data)
Caltrans Statewide Small Business Council
- Contractor Interest Registry for Emergencies
- Business Resource Links
- CT Event Calendar
- Procurement Fair FAQ
- Construction Mandatory Pre-bid Guide
- Evaluating DBE Participation
- Evaluating DVBE and SB Participation
- MAP-21 DBE Data 2015
- Disparity Study and Goal & Methodology
- Archived Previous DBE Goals and Methodology
- FTA DBE - 2016 Goal and Methodology
- FTA DBE Disparity Study
- California Unified Certification Program Information
Small Business Advocate:
DBE Certification Assistance:
DBE Supportive Services:
OJT Supportive Services: