Office of Business & Economic Opportunity (OBEO)
Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) assures that no person shall, on the basis of race, color, national origin, or income, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be otherwise subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance, as required by Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, the Civil Rights Restoration Act of 1987 (P.O. 100.259), and Federal Executive Order 12898 (Federal Actions to Address Environmental Justice in Minority Populations and Low-Income Populations).
Caltrans will make every effort to ensure nondiscrimination in all of its programs and activities, whether they are federally funded or not, and that services and benefits are fairly distributed to all people, regardless of race, color, national origin, or income. In addition, Caltrans will facilitate meaningful participation in the transportation planning process in a nondiscriminatory manner.
What Does This Mean?
Caltrans cannot, on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability or income status either directly or through contractual means, do any of these actions:
- Deny program services, aids or benefits.
- Provide a different service, aid or benefit, or provide them in a manner different from what is provided to others.
- Segregate or separately treat individuals in any matter related to the receipt of any service, aid or benefit.
- Deny an opportunity to participate as a member of a planning, advisory or similar body that is an integral part of the program.
How Is Title VI Enforced?
- Conducting internal and external compliance reviews
- Conducting Title VI Program Implementation training
- Developing Title VI compliance information for internal and external dissemination
- Processing the disposition of Title VI complaints received by Caltrans
Title VI Complaint Process
Statewide Alerts and Other Information
Title VI Links
Small Business Advocate:
Name: Janice Salais
DBE Certification Assistance:
Name: MaryLee Miglino or Curtis Williams
DBE Supportive Services:
Name: Hershel Baser
OJT Supportive Services:
Name: Monica Pogemiller
National Summer Transportation Institute (NSTI):
Name: Tim Bullivant
Name: Antoinette Wood