Caltrans Jobs and Testing Information.
Build Your Career with Caltrans - Caltrans Employment Videos
Caltrans manages more than 50,000 miles of California's highway and freeway lanes, provides inter-city rail services, permits more than 400 public-use airports and special-use hospital heliports, and works with local agencies.
Caltrans carries out its mission of providing a safe, sustainable, integrated and efficient transportation system to enhance California's economy and livability, with six primary programs: Aeronautics, Highway Transportation, Mass Transportation, Transportation Planning, Administration and the Equipment Service Center.
How to Apply
California State law requires that all future civil service employees participate in merit based hiring process prior to entering in State service. The Department of Transportation (Caltrans) is a State Agency bound by these regulations and adheres to them through the following hiring steps:
STEP 1: Creating a CalCareer Account
Examinations and Job Vacancies are offered through CalCareers, a site created by California Department of Human Resources (CalHR). In order to review and apply to these selection procedures, you must create a CalCareer Account.
This account enables you to:
- Create a State application
- Submit applications to jobs and examinations
- Store work history and cover letters
- Review job vacancy statuses and examination results
- and much more...
Set up your CalCareer account to search for jobs and take online examinations.
Contact CalCareers at 1(866) 844-8671 or CalCareer@calhr.ca.gov for questions.
Watch video tutorials on how to apply/manage your account.
Fill-and-print Form CalHR STD 678: State of California Examination/Employment Application
Printable Form CalHR 1093: Application for Veterans' Preference for California State Civil Service Examinations
STEP 2: Examination
Examinations are administered through the Office of Examinations to assess knowledge, skills, and abilities of future employees. Candidates must participate in an examination prior to applying to job vacancies.
Visit our Exam Plan for a complete list of all examinations offered through Caltrans (Be sure to click on the classification code to review the minimum qualifications for the position).
STEP 3: Job Search
Follow California Department of Human Resource's Steps to a State Job.
STEP 4: Interview
Below are a few tips that will help you prepare for an interview after you apply to a vacancy within Caltrans:
Print the job posting and associated attachments for the vacancy. This contains all the position details such as the duty statement, job description information, special requirements, and contact information for the position. Note: the posting and associated attachments disappear after the final filing date.
Study the position. Review the classification specification to understand the duties, tasks, and minimum qualifications necessary for the position.
Need additional assistance in the hiring process? Attend a FREE seminar offered by California Department of Human Resources (CalHR).
Why Choose Caltrans?
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) manages a world class transportation system that connects the people and regions of our state. We play a significant role in making our economy the 8th largest in the world, bringing goods and services to California’s customers. Caltrans directly manages more than 50,000 lane miles of State and federal highways, as well as 12,000 highway bridges; permits more than 400 public-use airports; and operates three of the top five Amtrak intercity rail services.
Caltrans is always seeking qualified individuals to help with a wide variety of duties. Our goal is to promote a positive work environment and encourage innovation and creativity. We encourage you to look at our current job vacancies and find what best fits your skill set.
"I think there's no higher calling in terms of a career than public service, which is a chance to make a difference in people's lives and improve the world."
Employment Opportunities at Caltrans Include the Following Career Fields:
- Administrative Professionals
- Clerical and Office Support
- Contracting and Procurement
- Cooks (Seasonal)
- Drawbridge Operators
- Environmental Professionals
- Equipment Mechanics
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Land Surveyors
- Right of Way Agents
- Technical Support
- Toll Collectors
- Warehouse Workers
- Caltrans Job Vacancies on CalHR
- Caltrans Jobs FAQ by Category
- Transportation Engineer, Civil (TEC) Online Exam
- Current Post and Bid Vacancies
Post and Bid is a benefit for rank and file employees in bargaining units 4, 11, 12, and 13 which gives permanent full-time employees, who have completed their probationary period, the mandatory right to transfer to another position within their classification within the Department based on seniority.
- California State Civil Service Class Specifications on CalHR - Job Description, Payscale, Definition, Minimum Qualification, Knowledge and Abilities...
- CalHR's Limited Examination and Appointment Program (LEAP) for Persons with Disabilities
- Military Leave FAQ on CalHR
There Are Many Benefits Caltrans Offers Its Employees
- HEALTH AND DENTAL INSURANCE - Choose from a variety of health and dental benefit plans for you and your family. Visit CalPERS for more information.
- VISION CARE INSURANCE - You are automatically enrolled into the state's Vision Program.
- RETIREMENT PLANS - Visit CalPERS for more information on the retirement plans offered by the state.
- PAID HOLIDAYS - Paid state holidays, plus 1 personal holiday each year.
- VACATION - Paid vacation, based upon years of employment.
- SICK LEAVE - Eight hours sick leave each month.
- ALTERNATE WORK SCHEDULES – Caltrans offers 4/10/40 and 9/8/80 alternate work schedules, depending on the particular work requirements and at the supervisor’s discretion.
- EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM – Confidential consultation, assessment, and referrals are available at no cost.
- EDUCATIONAL REIMBURSEMENT – Caltrans may provide partial educational reimbursement for college classes or training that are career related, for upward mobility and special programs.
- SAVINGS PLUS PLANS - The State offers a 457 Deferred Compensation plan and a 401K plan for customized savings.
- TELEWORK – Caltrans offers the opportunity to work at home, depending on the particular work requirements and at the supervisor’s discretion.
- Family Care and Medical Leave (CFRA) and Pregnancy Disability Leave
- MILITARY LEAVE - You may be allowed to take up to 30 calendar days with pay for military leave each year.
- BEREAVEMENT LEAVE - You are allowed up to 24 hours paid time off if a member of your family dies, based on union contract.
- JURY DUTY - You may serve with no loss in pay.
Build Your Career Here with Us at Caltrans
As one of the largest state employers, we have many opportunities for training and advancement.
Examinations: General Information
- Exam Plan - Caltrans Examination Plan Fiscal Year 2018-2019
- FAQs - Caltrans Jobs Frequently Asked Questions by category
Current Caltrans Examination Listings
- CEA Exams - Caltrans Career Executive Assignments: high level administrative and policy-influencing positions for which the primary responsibility is the managing of a function or rendering of management advice to top level administrative authority.
- Exempt Exams- Caltrans Exempt positions: exempt from civil service laws and rules therefore, individuals are not required to take an examination prior to appointment.
- MSP Exams - Caltrans Managerial Selection Process (MSP) Exams
- Open Examinations - Caltrans Examinations available to outside candidates (and internal candidates)
- Promotional Examinations - Examinations available to Caltrans internal candidates only
- SSA Transfer Exam - Staff Services Analyst General (SSA) Transfer Exam for Caltrans Employees: information and forms
Caltrans Student Assistants and Volunteers
Student Assistant Program
The Caltrans Student Assistant Program is designed to introduce students with the work and employment opportunities within the Department. Gain on-the-job training and paid experience while attending college! We have many opportunities in the following fields:
- BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
- COMPUTER SCIENCES
- ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES
- GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SYSTEMS
- LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURE
- TRANSPORTATION PLANNING
- AND MORE!
Students must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 semester (or equivalent 9 quarter) units in a related field of study and maintain a 2.0 GPA. For additional information, please e-mail us at: HQStudentAssistantProgram@dot.ca.gov.
This program is designed as a recruitment tool to introduce the Volunteer to the work and employment opportunities within the Department. Volunteers must be over the age of 15 (with a valid work permit, if applicable).
If interested, send in a resume with a cover letter, describing what you would like to do, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your resume will be sent to participating Supervisors within that field and you will be contacted for further information.
LEAP Limited Examination and Appointment Program
The Limited Examination and Appointment Program (LEAP) is designed to help persons with disabilities get jobs in the California state civil service. LEAP is an alternative to the traditional testing process, allowing applicants to demonstrate knowledge, skills and abilities through on-the-job testing. More information about LEAP is available at the CalHR LEAP page.
Statewide Alerts and Other Information
Caltrans Jobs Links
General Information Line: (916) 654-2852
You can also call
California Department of Transportation
1120 N Street
Sacramento, CA 95814