The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) has discretionary authority with respect to highways under its jurisdiction and may, upon application and if good cause appears, issue a special permit to operate or move a vehicle or combination of vehicles or special mobile equipment of a size or weight of vehicle or load exceeding the maximum limitations specified in the California Vehicle Code. The Caltrans Transportation Permits Issuance Branch is responsible for the issuance of these special transportation permits for oversize/overweight vehicles on the State Highway System.
|Transportation Permits Issuance Branch
1823 14th Street, Sacramento, CA 95811-7119
Main Phone: (916) 322-1297 | Single Trip Fax: (916) 322-4966 | Annual/Repetitive Fax: (916) 445-0469 | Variance Fax: (916) 322-1505
Office Hours: 8 AM - 5 PM, Monday-Friday (Closed on State Holidays except on ML King Day, Cesar Chavez Day, and Veterans Day)
Walk-In Hours: 8 AM - 3 PM Monday-Friday (Closed on all State Holidays)
After Hour Emergency: Emergency Permit Procedures
- Travel Alerts: Permanent Truck Ban on SR 2
- Emergency Closures: Currently None
- Weekly Short Term Restrictions: 02-08-16 (.pdf) | 02-01-16 (.pdf)
- HOW TO APPLY for an oversize/overweight permit
- Single Trip Permit Application (.pdf) | Interactive Instructions
- Annual Permit Application (.pdf) | Interactive Instructions
- Repetitive Permit - vehicles less than 12'-0" wide, 14'-6" high, and 90'-0" long hauling loads for one way travel from point A to point B.
- STARS2 Process - web-based permit application system
- Variance Permit - vehicles greater than 15'-0" wide, 17'-0" high, and 135'-0" long, or on special hauling equipment which exceeds the Department's standard method of weight classification.
- Motorsports - Effective January 01, 2015, SB 1175 will extend the current motorsports exemption and would require a permit issued by the Department.