- Office of Travel & Forecasting Analysis
- National Household Travel Survey - California Data
- Traffic Impact Model Manual
- Travel Analysis Branch
- Transportation/Freight Modeling & Data Branch
- Freight Planning Branch
Projects & Tasks
- California Statewide Freight Forecasting Model
- Motor Vehicle Stock Travel & Fuel Forecast (MVSTAFF)
- Travel Info Integration
- Neighborhood Travel and Activity Study (NTAS)
- California Household Travel Survey
- Mobile Survey
- Census Transportation Planning Products (CTPP)
- Technical Assistance / Consultation
- 2008 MVSTAFF
- 2007 MVSTAFF
- 2006 MVSTAFF
- 2005 MVSTAFF
- 2004 MVSTAFF
- 2003 MVSTAFF
- 2002 MVSTAFF
- 2001 MVSTAFF
- 2000 MVSTAFF
California Motor Vehicle Stock Travel & Fuel Forecast (MVSTAFF)
The MVSTAFF project is on-hold for the time being. Historical reports are available on the left-side navigation bar.
We recommend California Air Resources Board's EMFAC database as a substitute. Historical data and forecasts from 1990 to 2035 are available for vehicle stock (population), VMT, number of trips, fuel consumption and various emissions for all vehicle classifications.
- For more information about EMFAC, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- EMFAC vehicle classifications are explained at: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msei/vehicle-categories.xlsx
- EMFAC truck classifications may be converted to classifications used by California Energy Commission (CEC) and MVSTAFF by using the following table: Truck Class Conversion.xlsx
To Generate EMFAC Tables:
- Individual counties* for a single year - Go to EMFAC interface at: www.arb.ca.gov/emfac and enter your parameters to generate the table.
- All counties* for a single year - Go to: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msei/msei.htm. Click on EMFAC2011at the top. Then download EMFAC2011-SG. Follow instructions starting on page 8 of the attached User’s Guide: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msei/emfac2011-sg-module-users-guide-final.pdf.
Please note that the numbers for VMT, number of trips and fuel consumption are all daily values.
- For multiple years - Combine single-year tables
* Please note that some counties are split into segments and the values for segments should be combined to get county-wide values. See Air Basin and County Map Boundaries at: http://www.arb.ca.gov/maps/abasibw.pdf.
Another source of data that you may find useful is the California Public Road Data (CPRD) at: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/tsip/hpms/datalibrary.php
It contains current and historical data from 2001 to 2011 (no forecasts)
EMFAC VMT's and some other values may be disaggregated to State vs. non-State highway classifications by using the California Public Road Data. CPRD may also be used to disaggregate the values to city level**.
** Please note that the data for smaller counties and cities in CPRD may not be reliable because of low sample counts.