Regional Transportation Plan Liaison Branch
2016 RTP Guidelines Update
The Regional Transportation Plan (RTP) Guidelines are undergoing an update process that is scheduled to occur from July through December 2016. The California Transportation Commission (CTC) anticipates consideration of the Final RTP Guidelines later this calendar year. Below is a detailed timeline for the update process.
The RTP Guidelines are being updated in tandem with the development of the California Transportation Plan Guidelines. Click here for information about the CTP Guidelines process.
Interested RTP Workgroup participants whom would like to partake in the RTP Guidelines update process should submit an email to: RTP.Guidelines.Update@dot.ca.gov. The email should state the workgroup of interest, listed below by topical area:
- Public Health, Equity and Active Transportation
- Sustainable Community Strategy/Alternative Planning Strategy
- Environmental Considerations
- Performance Measures & State and Federal Regulations
- Other policy areas as needed
RTP Workgroups will meet during the months of July and August and will require a considerable time commitment on behalf of all participants. Meeting dates for workgroups are scheduled to occur on July 13-14 and will be approximately 1 ½ to 2 hours in duration for each topical area. Workgroups could potentially meet a second time in July/August, depending on the subject matter and resolution of any comments/revisions for the RTP Guidelines.
Estimated 2016 RTP Guidelines Update Timeline
- June 30 – RTP/CTP Guidelines Kickoff Meeting in Sacramento (Click here for more information)
- Early July – Release of the 1st draft for public review
- July 13-14 – Workgroups are scheduled to meet for the first time
- July/August (possible September) – Workgroups meet as needed
- September – Caltrans releases the 2nd draft for public review
- November – Caltrans finalizes RTP Guidelines
- December or January – CTC considers final 2016 RTP Guidelines for adoption
RTP Guidelines & Handbook
- Regional Transportation Plan Guidelines 2010
- Regional Transportation Planning Guidelines Checklist 2010
- 2015 Regional Planning Handbook Section 7 – Regional Transportation Plan (RTP), provides the RTP administrative requirements for Caltrans Districts and Headquarters staff. This Section should be reviewed well in advance of receiving a draft RTP during the public commenting period.
RTP Products & Reports
- MPO RTP Status Chart
- RTPA RTP Status Chart
- Table of Air Quality Conformity Areas with Conformity Status and Determination Letters
- Air Quality Analysis and Coordination Website
Draft RTP and EIR Circulation Contacts
Draft RTP Review Circulation Contacts:
- Division of Aeronautics, Attn: Ron Bolyard, Office of Aviation Planning
- Division of Transportation Planning
Draft Environmental Document Circulation Contacts: