BEFORE YOU CONSULT THE HISTORIC BRIDGE INVENTORY, PLEASE READ THIS:
The original statewide historic bridge inventory was completed in 1986. It was most recently updated in 2010 for bridges built between 1960 and 1964, and the National Register status of some of the bridges has changed. The update evaluated most of the state highway and local roadway bridges constructed prior to 1965. Bridges constructed in 1965 and later may need to be evaluated as they reach fifty years of age.
Each bridge has been given a National Register status designation as follows:
- 1 – Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- 2 – Eligible for National Register listing.
- 3 – May be eligible for National Register listing.
- 4 – Unevaluated. (Generally, Category 4 bridges constructed before 1960 are associated with properties that have not yet been evaluated, such as railroads, canals, or potentially eligible historic roads.)
- 5 – Ineligible for National Register listing.
If you have questions about the 2005 update of the historic bridge inventory, please contact the Cultural Studies Office of Caltrans' Environmental Program or Janice Calpo of Caltrans’ Environmental Program at (916) 653-0802.