- Amtrak California
- California Transportation Plan
- Caltrans Property for Sale
- Caltrans Local Development Review
- Legal Expert Witness Consultants
California Department of Transportation
Date: May 31, 2012
Contact: Deanna Shoopman
Phone: 530 741-4572
CALTRANS AWARDS $350 MILLION IN GRANTS TO IMPROVE PUBLIC TRANSIT AND AIR QUALITY
MARYSVILLE - Caltrans has awarded approximately $350 million in grants to improve public transit across California. An estimated 80 projects will upgrade transit service, purchase eco-friendly buses, modernize transit stations and create jobs throughout the state. The grants are funded through Proposition 1B, the 2006 voter-approved transportation bond, which is providing $3.6 billion over a 10-year period to improve public transit in California.
“These projects are a direct investment in our state's public transit system and will help energize California’s economy,” said Caltrans Director Malcolm Dougherty. "Not only will these projects help create jobs, they will also reduce traffic congestion, clean the air, and provide Californians with more viable alternatives to rising gas prices.”
Some of the notable projects awarded Proposition 1B funding include:
- El Dorado County - $540,000 for El Dorado County Transit Authority to install Electronic Fare Boxes.
- Glenn County - $561,142 for the Glenn County Transportation Commission to replace Glenn Ride Vehicles.
- Placer County - $163,399 for Placer County Department of Public Works for the Placer County Bus Stop improvements and $1 million for Placer County Transportation Planning Agency to expand the Rocklin Multi-Modal Station Park-n-Ride lot.
- Sacramento County - $9.3 million for the Sacramento Regional Transit to refurbish the light rail vehicles
- Yolo County – $2.6 million for the Sacramento Area Council of Governments for the replacement of the Fixed Route Bus and $197,183 for the replacement of (2) double deck bus
To date, Proposition 1B has provided $1.7 billion in funding to more than 700 transit projects statewide, with 216 completed.
For a comprehensive list of all projects that received transit grants in this funding cycle, please see the attached file.
# # # #