California Department of Transportation


Q What are the rules and regulations for truckers in California?

The trucking industry in California is regulated by the following agencies:

For air emissions regulations, contact the Air Resources Board (ARB).  The ARB contact information is on this Caltrans web page:

For drivers license or vehicle registration, contact the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

For inspections, highway safety and laws, contact the California Highway Patrol (CHP) at (916)843-3400.

For licensing of household goods carriers and tour buses, contact the California Public Utilities Commission at (800) 877-8867.

For fuel taxes contact the California Board of Equalization at (916) 322-9669.

For hauling animals, crops and produce, contact the California Department of Food & Agriculture at (916) 654-0466.

The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) Office of Truck Services web page at is the portal to

  1. Truck Operations
  2. Oversize/Overweight Permits (916) 322-1297
  3. Legal Truck Size & Weight
  4. Legal Truck Size & Weight -- Exemptions
  5. Truck Routes
  6. 45' Buses & Motorhomes
  7. Weigh Stations/Enforcement Facilities
  8. Weigh-in-Motion

Traffic Operations web link: