California Department of Transportation
Malcolm Dougherty was appointed by Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. to be the Director of the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) in May 2012. He leads the $11 billion organization and Caltrans 20,000 employees who build, maintain, and operate the 50,000 lane miles of California’s world-class transportation system.
Director Dougherty has over 21 years experience with Caltrans and before becoming Director served as the Chief Deputy, Chief Engineer, and District Director in the Fresno Area. He also has held management positions in Design, Project Management, Maintenance and Traffic Operations during his career at Caltrans. His focus throughout his career has been on safety, efficient project delivery, partnerships with all stakeholders, and leading a professional and ethical workforce to provide mobility for the people of California.He also serves on the:
- Intelligent Transportation Society (ITS) of America Board of Directors;
- Transportation Research Board (TRB) Executive Committee;
- Strategic Highway Research Program 2 (SHRP II) Oversight Committee;
- American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) Board of Directors
- Chair of the AASHTO Sub-Committee on Construction
- Vice President of the Western Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (WASHTO)
- California Toll Bridge Program Oversight Committee
- California Public Works Board
Before he came to Caltrans, Dougherty worked for a consultant with a focus on land development and municipal engineering. He is a graduate of Rutgers University with a Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering. He and his wife Linda have three children.