California Department of Transportation

Preliminary Engineering Phase Over 10 Years

Headquarters, Division of Local Assistance (DLA), Office of Project Delivery and Accountability, in coordination with District Local Assistance Engineers (DLAEs), reviews and prepares Time Extension Requests for all projects that have not proceeded out of the Preliminary Engineering Phase within 10 years of the initial project authorization. DLA monitors and reports annually to FHWA concerning progress.

Code of Federal Regulations 23 CFR 630.112 (C)(2) Web

United States Code Title 23 Section 102(b) Web

In the event that right-of-way acquisition for, or actual construction of, the road for which this preliminary engineering is undertaken is not started by the close of the tenth fiscal year following the fiscal year in which the project is authorized, the STD will repay to the FHWA the sum or sums of Federal funds paid to the transportation department under the terms of the agreement. The State may request a time extension for any preliminary engineering project beyond the 10-year limit with no repayment of Federal funds, and the FHWA may approve this request if it is considered reasonable.

NOTE: All approved Preliminary Engineering Time Extension Requests may be de-obligated for any unexpended balances that are not invoiced within the time frames designated in 23 CFR 630.106 Web

PE Phase Over 10 Years (PE 10) - PROJECT LIST (Status Update) Excel NEW

  • Updated On: 06/13/2019
  • Submission Deadlines: see PE Phase Over 10 Years Project List above

  • NOTE: This Project List contains Current PE>10 AND all projects that will reach PE>10 within the next two years.

Time Extension Requests are submitted electronically :

Please feel free to send comments regarding this web site to the
Last Updated: June 17, 2019

To report any difficulty experienced in accessing Caltrans programs, services or activities or any discriminations covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act, Section 504 of Rehabilitation Act or the Fair Employment and Housing Act, please contact us at (866)810-6346 Voice; 711 TTY; (916)653-3055 Fax.