California Department of Transportation

Local Assistance Home

Emergency Relief Home

Contacts - Local Assistance









State of California
Department of Transportation
Division of Local Assistance
P.O. Box 942874, MS-1
Sacramento, CA 94274-0001





Local Emergency Relief Program

A Barge Strike is a Catastrophic Failure Wild Fires are Natural DisastersFloods are Natural DisastersA Tanker Accident is a Catastrophic Failure


Application Process

NOTE: The application process varies slightly with each declared disaster event.
  • Declare a "STATE OF EMERGENCY" to CalOES
  • Go and search on "Emergency Proclamations" This is required in order to get the "Governor's Proclamation of a State of Emergency".

  • Go to the Functional Classification or CRS maps and determine which of your damaged routes are FHWA funded or "Fed-aid routes"
  •       = Go to:
          = All routes are federal aid eligible EXCEPT for Minor collector (yellow) and Local/Residential (grey).
          = Minor Collectors or Local/Residential roads are non-fed-aid routes and may be funded by FEMA or CALOES.

  • Take photos of the damage on federal-aid routes, prior to starting any repairs

  • Start repairs on any Emergency Opening damage

  • Fill out the Initial Damage Estimate spreadsheet (see Application/Forms) (separate FHWA [federal-aid] and non-federal-aid routes and email to and your district contact [see the DLAE contact list at: ])

  • Once the Governor Proclaims a State of Emergency and the TOTAL Federal aid route damage repair estimate exceeds $700,000, Caltrans will apply to FHWA for ER eligibility

  • Once FHWA acknowledges Caltrans eligibility request, start filling in DAFs for each site and scheduling field reviews with your DLAE contact

  • Once the district approves the DAF they will send them to Caltrans HQ

  • Caltrans HQ reviews the DAFs and forwards them to FHWA

  • Once the DAFs have been sent to FHWA the agency can send an E-76 (Request for Authorization) to the district, which is a request for funding see the Local Assistance Procedures Manual (LAPM ) at: for the Project Authorization process
Bill Huang, ER Coordinator, Division of Local Assistancei

To report any difficulty experienced in accessing Caltrans programs, services or activities or any discriminations covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act, Section 504 of Rehabilitation Act or the Fair Employment and Housing Act, please contact us at (866)810-6346 Voice; 711 TTY; (916)324-1999. Email:

Page Last Updated: April 11, 2018