500 S. Main Street
Bishop, CA 93514
- Encroachment Permits
- Local Assistance
- Program ⁄ Project Management
- Public Information
- Small Business
- Contact Us
Olancha - Cartago 4 Lane Project
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) with the support of Inyo County Local Transportation Commission has proposed widening about 12.7 miles of U.S. Highway 395 in Inyo County near the towns of Olancha and Cartago. Learn more about what is being proposed and why it is necessary here. Feel free to contact us with any questions that you may have.
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans), as CEQA lead agency, and the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), as NEPA lead agency, propose to convert approximately 12.6 miles of the existing U.S. Highway from a a two-lane conventional highway into a four-lane expressway or partial conventional four-lane highway from post mile 29.2 to post mile 41.8 in Inyo County. The project proposes six alternatives with varying amounts of construction on new alignments.
An Initial Study with proposed Mitigated Negative Declaration/Environmental Assessment was publically noticed and circulated from comments from September 2, 2010 to October 22,2010. Caltrans and FHWA have subsequently determined that an Environmental Impact Report is warranted for the project. This notice is to inform you that the project's Draft Environmental Impact Report/Environmental Assessment with Section 4(f) Evaluation and technical reports are available for public review at the following locations:
- Caltrans District Office, District 9, 500 South Main Street, Bishop, CA 93514
- Lone Pine Public Library, 127 West Bush Street, Lone Pine, CA 93545
- Olancha Post Office, 100 South Highway 395, Olancha, CA 93549
- Eastern Sierra Interagency Visitor Center located at the junction of U.S. Highway 395 and State Route 136 (one mile south of Lone Pine).
The Draft Environmental Document will be in the public circulation phase from August 12, 2015 through October 10, 2015. Public comments will be accepted until October 10, 2015. Please send your comments to Kirsten Helton, Senior Environmental Planner, 855 "M" Street, Suite 200, Fresno, CA 93721, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As part of the circulation process, Caltrans will hold a Public Hearing to obtain public input on the Environmental Impact Report/Environmental Assessment with Section 4(f) Evaluation. Caltrans will present preliminary design plans, environmental study information, discuss concerns, and answer questions. The Public Hearing will be informal and interested parties may arrive at any time.
- Date: Wednesday, September 23, 2015
- Time: 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Location: Olancha Fire Station, 896 Shop Street, Olancha, CA 93549.
Environmental Document and Technical Studies:
- Draft Environmental Impact Report/Environmental Assessment with Section 4(f) Evaluation
- Technical Studies This is a very large file, so be patient when downloading (153 MB).
Links to informational documents:
Caltrans Preferred Alternative
On June 29, 2011, District 9 Director Tom Hallenbeck announced that the preferred alternative for the Olancha/Cartago 4 Lane project is a combination of Alternative 3 and Alternative 4.
Cedrik Zemitis, Project Manager
500 S. Main Street, Bishop, CA 93514
Kirsten Helton, Environmental Manager
855 M Street, Suite 200, Fresno CA 93721