- Caltrans Statewide
- District 4 Home Page
- District 4 Departments
- Organizational Chart
- Contact District 4
I-80 Hilltop Construction
Current Traffic Configuration
The remaining bridge at Hilltop Drive is striped for two-lane traffic.
The Bus and Passenger Service only on-ramp from eastbound Hilltop Drive to westbound I-80 is closed until project completion.
The loop onramp from eastbound Hilltop Drive to eastbound I-80 is closed. This ramp will remain closed until a new bridge is built for eastbound traffic.
Due to the closure of the loop onramp from eastbound Hilltop Drive to eastbound I-80, motorists travelling east on Hilltop Drive who want to travel eastbound on I-80 will be detoured to Richmond Parkway. Please note that a No Left Turn sign is posted for eastbound motorists at the traffic signal adjacent to the Hilltop Park and Ride Lot and the eastbound I-80 offramp. See detour below.
Click to Enlarge
Reason for I-80 / Hilltop Drive Bridge Replacement Project
- The structure is founded on spread footing. Abutments were found to have settlement and lateral movements.
- Piers and abutments also need retrofitting to meet seismic standards.
- Non-standard vertical clearances over Route 80 of 15 ft.- 5 in.
- The new overcrossing will have a vertical clearance of 23 ft. 8 in.
- The project will include demolishing the eastbound Hilltop Drive Bridge, constructing a new bridge on a new profile, and modifying the eastbound on-ramp profile to match the new roadway.
Bridge Demolition Facts
- 14 hours freeway detour, from Saturday 9 p.m. to Sunday 11 a.m.
- 49 minutes maximum estimated traffic delay (total 97,000 hrs delay)
- Removal operation more efficient, simpler and faster
- Safer for traffic (no portion of bridge be over traffic next day)
- Recommended by demolition specialty contractors
- Supported and concurred by the City of Richmond and Contra Costa County
- Recommended by Caltrans HQ Structures Design and Construction, and the District Construction.