238 Mission Rehabiliation
This Project Has Been Completed
This summer Caltrans plans to begin rehabilitation of Route 238 (/Mission Blvd.), from Interstate 680 in Fremont to the Hayward city limit. The majority of work will involve one-lane closures, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. This will allow the noisiest construction activities to be completed during the day, rather than at night. Two weekend closures of one lane in each direction are also planned in order to repave at the railroad undercrossing east of Stevenson Blvd.
Construction activities for the eight-mile long project will include removal of failed Asphalt concrete pavement, grinding existing asphalt to a desired depth, overlaying roadway with rubberized asphalt concrete, installation of loop detectors (sensors that provides traffic monitoring data, Traffic Signals Timing), Signal & Lighting, and other electrical equipment, placement of a seal coat, and minor work, such as guard rails, sidewalks and Curb Ramps, drainage construction and pavement delineation. To reduce the impact on schools in the area, when possible, construction activities adjacent to schools will take place during the summer break.
- Route 238 (Mission Blvd.), in Alameda County.
- From north of the I-680/Rte 238 separation in the City of Fremont to Blanche Street, just north of the Union City/Hayward city limit.
- 8-mile stretch.
- Four-lane conventional highway.
- One or two left-lane pockets at some intersections.
- Northbound and southbound traffic is separated by a concrete median strip.
- No parking along the corridor.
- Non-continuous sidewalk.
- There are 21 signalized intersections within the limits of the existing facility.
- Removal of failed Asphalt pavement.
- Cold plane asphalt Surfacing
- Placement of a seal coat.
- Overlay roadway with rubberized asphalt concrete.
- Installation of loop detectors and other electrical equipment.
- Other minor work (guard rail, sidewalk, Curb Ramps, drainage, retaining wall, pavement delineation).
- Capital Cost: $14.4M (State Highway Operation and Protection Program)
- Start Construction: Summer 2010 (first week of August 2010)
- Complete Construction: Summer 2012
- Based on City of Fremont and Union City requests, noisy work will be performed during the day, as much as feasible:
- One-lane closure from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. (7-hour closure)
- Pavement Replacement at Railroad U/C
- Close one traffic lane in each direction at Stevenson Blvd. from Friday night to Monday morning (two weekends).
For more information, please call or email
Public Information Officer
Caltrans, District 4, Office of Public Affairs