Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2009
Contact: Media Relations Officer Edward Cartagena
Phone: (619) 688-6670
Tour of California Visits San Diego
SAN DIEGO –
Motorists traveling through the city of Escondido and the community of Rancho Bernardo, east of Interstate 15, on Sunday, Feb. 22 may encounter delays of up to 30 minutes, according to the California Department of Transportation. The route for the final stage of the Amgen Tour of California bicycle race will run through these areas and further points east.
The 96-mile race begins at noon in Rancho Bernardo and travels up and over Palomar Mountain then finishing in downtown Escondido. Law enforcement will escort racers in a “rolling” closure style, in order to minimize impacts to motorists.
Most closures will be in place for 15 to 30 minutes. Due to the route and the nature of the race some roads will have longer closures. For more detailed information refer to web sites listed below.
- The entire length of South Grade Road will be closed to traffic from 9 a.m. to approximately 3 p.m.;
- East Grade Road will have delays from 12:45 p.m. and as late as 3 p.m.;
- Westbound State Route 78 (SR-78) will have limited impacts;
- Eastbound SR-78 will have delays from 11:45 a.m. to 1:15 p.m.;
- SR-76 will have closures in both directions between SR-79 to Cole Grade Road from noon to 3:30 p.m.
For more information, visit www.amgentourofcalifornia.com
# # # #