Mad River Bridges Replacement - Introduction
Mad River Bridges Replacement Project Completed - see the News page for more details.
This project replaced the former bridges on Route 101 over the Mad River between Arcata and McKinleyville due to scour and seismic deficiencies. Improvements to Route 101/200 intersection and ramps were also planned. Construction of the new bridges used a new alignment to the west to facilitate the use of the former bridges during construction.
Additional Elements of the project design include:
- Multi-purpose path on the east side of the northbound bridge
- Reconstruction of Route 101/200 intersection at North Bank Road
- Upgrade lighting to minimum standards
- Provide minimum width shoulders in each direction
- Improve safety at exit/on ramps and the Route 101/200 intersection
The portion of Route 101 over the Mad River is classified as a Principal Arterial on the National Highway System and is eligible for Scenic Route designation. Route 101 is the economic lifeline and an important route in Humboldt County and neighboring counties to the north and south.