- Strategic Growth Plan
- Outside Agencies
- Early Education Center - The Center offers spacious rooms for infants, toddlers and pre-schoolers and is open to the public.
- District 7 Video Channel
Palmdale Boulevard (SR-138) Roundabout
Roundabouts are used statewide, nationally and internationally on highways, county routes and city streets. The roundabout at the intersection of Palmdale Boulevard (SR-138) and 47th Street East in the City of Palmdale is the first of its kind on a state route in Los Angeles County.
A roundabout is a transportation management tool that moves traffic through an intersection often without needing to stop. This creates a free flow intersection, with one-way (counter clockwise) movement around a central island. Entering traffic must yield the right-of-way to traffic circulating within the roundabout.
The new SR-138 roundabout cost $19 million to construct and will facilitate the flow of traffic through this area of Palmdale, enhance highway safety and reduce traffic delays and fuel consumption.
How to Drive in a Roundabout
- Speed – Drive at the appropriate posted speed.
- Yield – When entering, yield to all traffic in lanes circulating within the roundabout.
- Choose Your Lane – Drivers must make the appropriate lane choice, based on their destination, prior to entering a multi-lane roundabout. Never pass or overtake another vehicle after entering a roundabout.
- Emergency Vehicles – Do not impede emergency vehicles. If you are within the roundabout when an emergency vehicle approaches, exit at the first opportunity and then pull over.
- Pedestrian Safety – All pedestrians must cross at designated crosswalks. Motorists must yield to pedestrians.
- Bicyclists – Bicyclists are encouraged to walk their bikes in the roundabout and use pedestrian crosswalks. Only experienced bicyclists should ride within the roundabout
- New Roundabout at the Intersection of Palmdale Boulevard (SR-138) and 47th Street East
- Washington State Department of Transportation's 'Driving Modern Roundabouts' Video
- Federal Highway Administration's Roundabout Brochure