FROM OUR DIRECTOR
DIRECTOR’S ZONE – DECEMBER, 2006
The passage of Propositions 1A and 1B is very important to Caltrans’ mission to Improve Mobility Across California. This additional infusion of funds through these bond measures will enable more secure funding to occur faster for a list of transportation improvement projects which will have a great impact to congestion relief in Southern California.
Some of the major improvement projects in Los Angeles and Ventura counties that could benefit from this new funding are part of the Corridor Mobility Improvement program and include but are not limited to:
• The Santa Ana Freeway (I-5) from the San Gabriel River Freeway (I-605) to the Orange County line
• The Golden State Freeway (I-5) from State Route 170 to State Route 134
• The northbound San Diego Freeway (I-405) High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lane from the Santa Monica Freeway (I-10) to the Ventura Freeway (U.S. 101)
• The San Bernardino Freeway (I-10) El Monte Busway from Puente to San Bernardino County
• U.S. 101 widening and HOV lane project from Mussel Shoals in Ventura County to Milpas Street in Santa Barbara.
A complete list of projects is expected to be forwarded for bond funding to the California Transportation Commission by April, 2007. While this list could change, these projects are our top priority.
Another benefit of the passage of Proposition 1A is protection of Proposition 42 funds for transportation uses. Proposition 1B also augments State Transportation Improvement Program funds. This will help fund other shortfalls or pending projects that have yet to be determined.
Transit, rail and ports will also benefit.
What this means to us all is that California will continue to improve the best transportation system in the world; to make the best even better with world-class employees to do the hard work necessary to put that important funding to work.
Caltrans’ role in Improving Mobility Across California also includes safety. Our role is getting people where they want to go, and getting there safely. Everything we do, we do with safety as our number one priority – safety of the motoring public and safety of our workers. Please remember this over the upcoming holiday season, and always. Buckle up those seat belts, don’t drink and drive, have a wonderful time with your friends and families and always remember to please, SLOW FOR THE CONE ZONE.