Deputy District Director of Maintenance
As Deputy Director of Maintenance, Ms. Deborah Wong, P.E., oversees a division of 1,300+ employees responsible for the care and upkeep of District 7's 42 highways and conventional freeways. The Maintenance division works around the clock to protect taxpayers' investment in the 1,200-mile system, which includes 920 miles in Los Angeles County and 280 in Ventura County, and to ensure that it provides maximum safety to the motoring public.
Maintenance Division responsibilities include:
- Identifying and rehabilitating distressed pavement.
- Inspecting and rehabilitating culverts. There are approximately 20,400 drainage culverts in Los Angeles County and 6,100 culverts in Ventura County.
- Identifying bridge maintenance needs thru bridge inspection reports for about 2,300 State Highway bridges in Los Angeles County and 320 bridges in Ventura County.
- Maintaining traffic management and communication systems.
- Additional tasks include repairing signals, signs, sensors, and traffic communication assets, maintaining guardrail, tree inspection, trimming, removal; right of way fence placement; highway sweeping; litter and debris removal; adopt a highway program management; illegal encampment removal, graffiti abatement, illegal sign removal; landscape and roadside vegetation control; storm water management program; park & rides maintenance; pump plant maintenance; pavement striping and markings maintenance, markers replacement; attenuator, center median barrier, and soundwall repair; emergency traffic control; hazardous material clean up; roadway spills and traffic accident clean up; out of control vehicle ramp maintenance; snow and ice control; mud slide removal; rock scaling; blasting; satellite communication team- SatCom 7; emergency dispatch; maintenance claims processing; equipment training; and handling of customer service requests.
Ms. Wong has been with Caltrans since 1993, having worked in the Traffic, Design, Construction, and Maintenance divisions, including more than 21 years of engineering and hands-on maintenance field experience. As West Region Area Manager, she ensured that freeway projects are designed to improve mobility and streamline maintenance operations, thereby minimizing maintenance closures, reducing workers' exposure to live traffic, and containing costs.
Leading the North Region maintenance design team as Design Manager for six years, Ms. Wong delivered award-winning projects that significantly reduced the number of worn lane miles through the Grapevine on Interstate 5, utilizing cutting-edge paving strategies, surveying methods, and traffic staging configurations.
Ms. Wong's focus as Deputy Director of Maintenance is on providing the safest transportation system possible for both motorists and workers, maximizing mobility, and securing funding to enable the division to meet and exceed its goals.
Ms. Wong is a graduate of Cal Poly Pomona in Civil Engineering.
District 7 Links
Phone: (213) 897-3656