HAZARDOUS TREE ASSESSMENT & PERMISSION TO ENTER PROCESS
Permission to Enter Process
1. Caltrans contractors knock on doors to seek verbal permission to assess hazardous trees on private property. Door hanger notice left on property.
2. Dead or dying trees marked with orange paint.
Check your mailbox for a "Permission to Enter" form (about 1-6 months after trees are marked).
No cost to property owner and trees cannot be removed without permission.
3. Sign and return the "Permission to Enter" form by the indicated deadline.
Complete the online form (coming soon) or the paper form received via regular mail.
4. If the form is not returned, or permission is denied, the property owner is liable for future damage that may occur if the tree falls on the highway.
5. Once permission is received, a Caltrans Right of Way Agent will execute an agreement to enter the property and remove the dead trees.
Door Hanger Notice of Hazardous Tree Identification
Caltrans is identifying and marking dead and dying hazardous trees that could impact the safety of the traveling public along the state highway. Some of these trees could fall toward the roadway from your property, blocking traffic or causing injury and damage.
Printable PDF - Notice of Hazardous Tree Identification
- Tree Mortality Task Force
The Tree Mortality Task Force is comprised of state and federal agencies, local governments, utilities, and various stakeholders that will coordinate emergency protective actions, and monitor ongoing conditions to address the vast tree mortality resulting from four years of unprecedented drought and the resulting bark beetle infestations across large regions of the State.
- CALFIRE Bark Beetles and Dead Trees
Millions of California trees are dead, increasing the risk of wildfire. Learn more about bark beetles, dead tree removal and seasonal actions.