California MUTCD 2012 (ARCHIVE)
- More info about the CA MUTCD 2012...
As of January 13, 2012 California Department of Transportation has adopted the California Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (CA MUTCD) 2012 edition to provide for uniform standards and specifications for all official traffic control devices in California. This action was taken pursuant to the provisions of California Vehicle Code Section 21400 and the recommendation of the California Traffic Control Devices Committee (CTCDC). The Department requested and has received a letter to confirm substantial conformance from the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) for CA MUTCD 2012 edition.
The CA MUTCD 2012 edition includes FHWA’s MUTCD 2009 edition dated December 19, 2009, as amended for use in California. The CA MUTCD 2012 also includes all policies on traffic control devices issued by the Department since January 21, 2010, and other corrections and format changes that were necessary to update the previous documents.
The CA MUTCD 2012 edition supersedes and replaces the previously adopted (on January 21, 2010) CA MUTCD as well as Chapters 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 11, 12, and the traffic signals portion of chapter 9 of the 1996 Caltrans Traffic Manual, as amended, and all previous editions thereof.
New as of 1/8/13: The hotlinked version of CA MUTCD 2012 is now placed on the CA MUTCD web site to assist readers who use the electronic version of the CA MUTCD in navigating through the many cross-references that are contained within the Manual. Hotlinks to cross-referenced Part, Chapter, Section, Figure, Table, Page, or Appendix; links to CA Vehicle Code; and web sites are all included in this hotlinks version of the CA MUTCD 2012.
Instructions on How to Use the New Features of the Hotlinks Version of the CA MUTCD 2012:
1. Download: The hotlinked CA MUTCD 2012 pdf and the 2012 CA Vehicle Code are listed below in the stand-alone documents. Place both files in the same location (same level) on your computer to use the hotlinks properly. Whether they are in a folder, or anywhere on your computer, as long as they're both in the same physical location on your computer's harddrive.
2. Internal Hotlinks: Anywhere in the document that another Part, Chapter, Section, Figure, Table, Page, or Appendix within the CA MUTCD 2012 is referenced, you can select this reference and be navigated to the referenced location within the document. To return to the page that had the hotlink, use the "Left Arrow" key while holding down the "Alt" key, or right-mouse-click and select "Previous View".
3. Links to external documents and web sites: Select in-text web site URLs and references to external documents to open the web page or document in a new window.
Double-Sided Printing: Some of the chapter files include a blank page at the end, for purposes of self-service double-sided printing and combining files.
Opening/Savings Files: If having difficulty viewing in your web browser, right-click on the file link and select "Save Target As..." to save the .pdf to your computer for off-line viewing. Allow the .pdf to download completely first. Files have been reduced in size (optimized) for faster downloads.
|Stand-alone Documents (Effective January 13, 2012):|
2012 CA MUTCD
|List of Significant Changes (compares to CA MUTCD 2010) - updated 4/9/12|
|Known Errors - updated 3/8/13|
|Temporary Traffic Control
(Cover, Introduction, Parts 1, 6, and Appendix)
|Highway Traffic Signals and Traffic Control for Railroad and Light Rail Transit Grade Crossings
(Cover, Introduction, Parts 1, 8, and Appendix)
|The contents of this publication are not copyrighted and may be reprinted freely.|
|Individual CA MUTCD Parts:||PDF File Size:|
|Part 0: Cover, Table of Contents & Introduction||3.23 MB|
|Part 1: General||3.60 MB|
|Part 2: Signs||---|
|Part 2 (complete Part 2, 550 pages)||103.20 MB|
|Chapters 2A & 2B||28.89 MB|
|Chapters 2C through 2F||44.98 MB|
|Chapters 2G through 2N||29.92 MB|
|Part 3: Markings||50.03 MB|
|Part 4: Highway Traffic Signals||24.60 MB|
|Part 5: Traffic Control Devices for Low-Volume Roads||636 KB|
|Part 6: Temporary Traffic Control||37.19 MB|
|Part 7: Traffic Control for School Areas||7.47 MB|
|Part 8: Traffic Control for Rail and Light Rail Transit Crossings||10.41 MB|
|Part 9: Traffic Control for Bicycle Facilities||7.85 MB|
CA MUTCD Links
Get CA MUTCD Email Notifications
- CA MUTCD HOMEPAGE | Traffic Engineering
- CA MUTCD 2014 Revision 3 (Latest Edition)
- Interim Approvals Status in CA
- Trainings & Events
- CA MUTCD 2014 Revision 2 (Archive)
- CA MUTCD 2014 Revision 1 (Archive)
- CA MUTCD 2014 (Archive)
- CA MUTCD 2012 (Archive)
- CA MUTCD 2010 (Archive)
- CA MUTCD 2006 (Archive)
- MUTCD 2003 CA Supplement (Archive)
- Traffic Manual (some chapters still in effect)
- Traffic Manual (Archive)
- Sign Charts
- Sign Specification Drawings
- TOPDs, Letters, Memos
- Work Zone Traffic Control Resources