As a candidate or campaign worker for either office or a ballot measure, this reminder about State law governing campaign signs should be helpful to you.
Section 5405.3 of the State Outdoor Advertising Act exempts the placing of Temporary Political Signs from normal outdoor advertising display requirements.
A Temporary Political Sign meets the following criteria:
- Encourages a particular vote in a schedule election.
- Is placed not sooner than 90 days prior to the schedule election and is removed within 10 days after that election.
- Is no larger than 32 square feet.
- Has had a Statement of Responsibility filed with the Department certifying a person who will be responsible for removing the sign.
A completed Statement of Responsibility  must be submitted to:
Division of Traffic Operations
Outdoor Advertising Program
P.O. Box 942874, MS-36
Sacramento, CA 94274-0001.
Temporary Political Signs shall not be placed within the right-of-way of any highway, or be visible within 660 feet from the edge of the right-of-way of a classified "Landscaped freeway".
State law directs the Department of Transportation to remove unauthorized Temporary Political Signs and bill the responsible party for their removal.
Laws and Regulations:
- ODA Act and Regulations
- Assembly Bill Number 762
- Assembly Bill Number 1449
- Senate Bill Number 315
- Senate Bill Number 1480
- Obtaining License
- Permit Requirements
- Political Signs
- The 1958 Bonus Act
Federal State Agreement:
- ODA Display Permit Application (ODA-0002)
- Outdoor Advertising Operator's License Application
- Display Removal Authorization
- Permit Transfer
- Permit & License Cancellation
- Business Name & Contact Name Change
- Political Sign Application
- Payment Schedule For Poster Panel Removal (EXHIBIT 7-14)
- ODA Inventory as of June 1, 2014
- California Public Records Request
- Adopt-A-Highway Program
- California Code of Regulations (Refer to: Title 4-Business Regulations, Division 6-Outdoor Advertising)
- Tourist Oriented Directional Signs (TODS)
- Office of Administrative Law Home
- Office of Administrative Hearings
- Right-of-Way Manual - Chapter 7
- Right-of-Way Manual Change 124
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required for all the files associated with this symbol: . Download now!