California Department of Transportation

Insurance Requirements

California requires that all commercial vehicles entering California have proof of financial responsibility. See the Ca. Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) website for the insurance required to obtain the Motor Carrier Permit at :


For information on the Motor Carrier Permit, see these DMV websites:

Motor Carrier Permit Program

Motor Carrier Permit Program - Frequently Asked Questions

After visiting the DMV websites, you may contact DMV, MCP Branch at (916) 657-8153.

Passenger Carriers

Seating Capacity
Minimum Coverage Required
7 or less,
8 to 15,
16 or more,

Passenger Carriers are regulated by the Public Utilities Commission (PUC).

Any questions concerning passenger carrier requirements may be directed to PUC at (415) 703-2063.

Return to the Caltrans "Legal Truck Access Branch" page.

Revised 7/2/08.