- Caltrans Home
- Division of Traffic Operations
- Office of Traffic Engineering
- Legal Truck Access Branch
- 45' Buses & Motorhomes
- Oversize/Overweight Permits
- Contact Permits Staff
- Trip Permits (Vehicle Reg)
- Air Quality - Emissions Reg's
- Terminal Access Application Procedures
- Special Route Restrictions
- Getting to Eureka
- Load Overhang
A driver of a commercial vehicle operated in California must possess a valid commercial drivers license.
OUT-OF-STATE: For out-of-state carriers, that commercial license must be issued by the driver's state or country of domicile (Mexico, Canada or any U.S. jurisdiction).
IN-STATE: For California carriers, see the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) website "Commercial Driver License." For driver license classes, see this list of classes from the California Commercial Driver License Handbook.
You may contact DMV by phone at 1-800-777-0133.
Return to the Caltrans "Legal Truck Access Branch" page.