California Department of Transportation

CA Number

The Motor Carrier Permit requires a CA number.

IN-STATE CARRIERS: A commercial vehicle operated only within the state of California must obtain a Motor Carrier Permit and a CA number but does not usually need a U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) Number.

OUT-OF-STATE CARRIERS: Some out-of-state carriers must obtain a Motor Carrier Permit and a CA number in addition to the U.S. DOT number to come into California. For more information on who must obtain a Motor Carrier Permit, see the website: Motor Carrier Permit.

CA NUMBER DISPLAY: Per California Vehicle Code (CVC) Section 34507.5, (a) Every motor carrier... shall obtain a carrier identification number ... (b) The carrier identification number assigned to the motor carrier ... shall be displayed on both sides of each vehicle, or on both sides of at least one motor vehicle in each combination ...


A Motor Carrier Permit may be obtained from the California Dept. of Motor Vehicles (DMV). (See the Motor Carrier Permit web page.)

A CA number can be obtained from the California Highway Patrol (CHP). See this DMV website for instructions and a link to the CHP form:


This website by the California Dept. of Motor Vehicles (DMV) lists active motor carriers and their CA numbers: Scroll to the alphabet. Click on the letter that the company name begins with. (If you don't know the company name, you will have to try several name searches.) A PDF file will open in Adobe Reader. These lists are NOT in alphabetical or numeric order. However, you can search in each PDF file for a name or CA number using the "Find" feature (<control> F). This site also lists liability insurance companies.

Return to the Caltrans "Legal Truck Access Branch" page.

Revised 10/15/14.