California Department of Transportation

Alcohol / Drugs

Drivers operating vehicles which require a commercial driver's license (class A, class B, or a class C with a hazardous materials endorsement) are required to be tested for alcohol and controlled substances according to the federal regulations. The employer of the driver is responsible for conducting a "controlled substances and alcohol testing" (CSAT) program that includes pre-employment testing, post-accident testing, random testing, and reasonable suspicion testing.

Applicable laws:

CALIFORNIA: California Vehicle Code, Section 34520 requires both intrastate and interstate motor carriers to comply with the federal regulations.

FEDERAL: The Code of Federal Regulations, Title 49:

For more information about alcohol and drug testing, you may contact the Commercial Vehicle Section of the California Highway Patrol (CHP) at (916) 843-3400.

Return to the Caltrans "Legal Truck Access Branch" page.

Revised 12/24/13.