Related Public Links:
- National Geodetic Survey
- California Spatial Reference Center, CSRC
- American Congress on Surveying and Mapping (ACSM)
- California Business and Professions Code Professional Land Surveyors Act (See Chapter 15, Land Surveying, Sections 8700-8805)
- California Land Surveyors Association
- DRG's (Digital Raster Graphics) Scanned USGS Topographic Maps
Welcome to the California Department of Transportation, Division of Right of Way and Land Surveys
Office of Land Surveys
California Department of Transportation
Division of Right of Way and Land Surveys
Office of Land Surveys, MS-35
1727 30th Street
Sacramento, CA 95816-8041
Click here for the map to "The Office of Land Surveys"
Contact Desk: (916) 227- 5919
On July 1, 2004 the "Division of Right Of Way" was renamed to the "Division of Right of Way and Land Surveys". The "Office of Geometronics" was renamed to the "Office of Land Surveys".
Caltrans Districts/Regions Contact list:
- Click here to access the Surveys, Right of Way Engineering, and Map files contact list
Contacts for information about geodetic control, R/W, GIS, photogrammetry, mapping, and relinquishments. For information about a specific area across the State, please contact the District/Region listed here.
- Provide effective functional management and coordination of the California Department of Transportation's Surveys function.
- Provide timely technical expertise, training, and assistance for the California Department of Transportation's surveying activities.
- Develop, establish, and maintain surveying standards and procedures that foster quality, effective surveying efforts.
- Evaluate, develop, and procure cost-effective, new-technology surveying equipment and systems for Departmental use.
- Manage California Department of Transportation's major surveying equipment inventory, including the administration of service and repair contracts.
- Participate with the Regions/Districts, other agencies, and California surveying professionals in efforts to resolve California surveying issues - datums, spatial reference systems, standards, etc.
Section 4 of the Plans Preparation Manual establishes uniform standards and procedures to use when preparing Right of Way Engineering mapping for all state transportation improvement projects involving the California Department of Transportation.
Metric Section 4 - Right of Way Engineering Mapping - only to be used on projects approved for delivery in metric
Policies, methodologies, and procedures for the California Department of Transportation Surveys function.
This document, Chapter 12, "Construction Surveys" of the Surveys Manual, provides information regarding typical construction staking performed by the California Department of Transportation (State) - the types of stakes furnished, their density, placement, and markings. You need 'Acrobat Reader' to view this document.
This file lists the numerous topo codes used by the Departments' Survey Crews to properly code data shots. This file can be printed and folded to make a small hand pamphlet for daily use by a crew. A pdf file is here
This course is designed to make the preparation for the LSIT and Land Surveyors exams more effective. The course, designed in the early 1990s consists of 14 modules that cover common topics of Land Surveying. Although it is not intended to be a complete study guide, it does cover pertinent information that all examinees should know.
Included are training materials to facilitate cost effective project delivery and additional study materials that may be helpful for the LS and LSIT Exam. Caltrans makes no claims or gives any warranty that the attached files are in any way required or necessary for passing or studying for the Land Surveyor in Training, or Professional Land Surveyor Exams. The user of this material assumes all responsibility for its actual applicability for the exams
This User's Guide provides an easy-to-understand compilation of the processes, characteristics, and time requirements for photogrammetric products and services for Project Engineers and other Caltrans users.
Contact Molly Wollam in the Office of Land Surveys for any comments or questions about this page
This page was last updated April 2013