Right of Way administers the statewide program for right of way acquisition and real property management in support of Caltrans' purpose, mission, vision and goals. The two primary responsibilities are:
- To appraise, and purchase property required for transportation purposes; affect and orderly relocation of affected families, businesses and utility facilities: and clearing of properties prior to construction.
- To comprehensively manage Caltrans' Real Property Program, reducing the costs of operations, and disposing of property no longer needed for transportation purposes.
Right of Way also has responsibility for:
- Monitoring right of way activities on federally assisted local facilities.
- Maintaining a stewardship role in the expenditure of federal funds.
- Ensuring local agency compliance when local funds are used for projects on the State Highway System.
Right of Way is headquartered in Sacramento, California.