- Amtrak California
- California Transportation Plan
- Caltrans Property for Sale
- Caltrans Local Development Review
- Legal Expert Witness Consultants
California Department of Transportation
Date: July 5, 2012
District: District 06
Contact: Jose Camarena
Phone: (559) 488-4067
Caltrans Awards $48.5 Million for Safe Routes to School
to Increase Safety and Health
FRESNO - Caltrans today awarded $48.5 million of state Safe Routes to School Program funds for 139 projects to increase safety and help reduce injuries and fatalities among children in grades K-12 who walk and bicycle to school.
“Safety is Caltrans’ number one priority,” said Caltrans Director Malcolm Dougherty. “We are committed to providing the highest safety possible for our children as they travel to and from school in California.”
Among the state-funded projects are new sidewalks, bicycle lanes, and other safety improvements. Caltrans chose each project based upon need, effectiveness, and how quickly it could be delivered. By improving safety, more kids are encouraged to walk and bicycle to school, resulting in healthier children while reducing greenhouse gas emissions and vehicle congestion.
More than $7 million of the funds were awarded to critical safety projects in rural counties. In addition, 82 projects totaling $28 million will create jobs and benefit at least one low-income school within each project.
Some of the projects that received funding include:
- Madera County - $211,600 to construct sidewalks, curb and gutter; install crosswalks and stop signs near Merle L. Fuller and Stephens Elementary Schools.
- Fresno County - $450,000 to install traffic signals; construct sidewalks and curb ramps near Powers-Ginsburg Elementary and Wawona Middle Schools.
- Kings County - $320,900 to install in-pavement crosswalk lighting, bike racks and speed feedback trailers near Armona Union Elementary and Parkview Middle schools.
To date, the state and federal Safe Routes to School programs have awarded $472 million for safety projects around California’s schools.
To view the entire list of SRTS projects that received funding, click here.
# # # #