- Amtrak California
- California Transportation Plan
- Caltrans Property for Sale
- Caltrans Local Development Review
- Legal Expert Witness Consultants
California Department of Transportation
Date: May 31, 2012
District: 8 – San Bernardino
Contact: Terri Kasinga, Public Information Officer
Phone: (909) 383-4631 (work) (951) 232-4268 (cell)
CALTRANS AWARDS $350 MILLION IN GRANTS TO IMPROVE PUBLIC TRANSIT AND AIR QUALITY
SAN BERNARDINO - Caltrans has awarded approximately $350 million in grants to improve public transit across California. An estimated 80 projects will upgrade transit service, purchase eco-friendly buses, modernize transit stations and create jobs throughout the state. The grants are funded through Proposition 1B, the 2006 voter-approved transportation bond, which is providing $3.6 billion over a 10-year period to improve public transit in California.
“These projects are a direct investment in our state's public transit system and will help energize California’s economy,” said Caltrans Director Malcolm Dougherty. "Not only will these projects help create jobs, they will also reduce traffic congestion, clean the air, and provide Californians with more viable alternatives to rising gas prices.”
Some of the notable projects awarded Proposition 1B funding include:
- Riverside County: $3,484 - Passenger amenities for the City of Beaumont.
- Riverside County: $102,877 - Passenger amenities for the City of Beaumont.
- Riverside County: $475,000 – Vehicle replacement project for the City of Riverside.
- Riverside County: $534,079 – CNG bus replacement for Palo Verde Valley Transit Agency.
- Riverside County: $9,022,707 – Purchase of replacement buses (70) for Riverside Transit Agency.
- Riverside County: $6,176,448 – Construction of Administrative Building for Sunline Transit Agency.
- San Bernardino County: $144,915 – Shelters, amenities, and solar lighting for Victor Valley Transit Authority
To date, Proposition 1B has provided $1.7 billion in funding to more than 700 transit projects statewide, with 216 completed.
For a comprehensive list of all projects that received transit grants in this funding cycle, please see the attached file.
# # # #