- Amtrak California
- California Transportation Plan
- Caltrans Property for Sale
- Caltrans Local Development Review
- Legal Expert Witness Consultants
California Department of Transportation
Headquarters - Public Affairs Office
May 26 , 2005
NEW CALTRANS REPORT: NO AGREEMENT ON BAY BRIDGE IS COSTING TAXPAYERS MILLIONS
Sacramento – The lack of a decision by the Legislature on funding and designing the final segment of the East Span of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge has cost millions and continues to rise, according to the latest Toll Bridge Seismic Retrofit Program report released today by the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans).
“Without a consensus on the best course of action going forward, each day of delay on a decision drives up costs and puts the safety of the public at further risk in the event of a major earthquake. The delay costs due to escalation are more than $400,000 per day,” the report says.
Seven of the nine state-owned toll bridges are in the Toll Bridge Seismic Retrofit Program. According to the newly issued Caltrans report, five of the seven bridges in the Program have been successfully retrofitted and collectively, they were completed more than $48 million under budget. They are the:
- Vincent Thomas Bridge
- San Diego-Coronado Bridge
- San Mateo-Hayward Bridge
- Benicia-Martinez Bridge
- Carquinez Bridge
Work is still underway on two bridges in the Bay area – the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge and the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge. The Bay Area has received 72 percent ($3.7 billion) of the total funding ($5.1 billion) for the Toll Bridge Seismic Retrofit Program, while the rest of the state has received 28 percent ($1.4 billion).
According to the report, the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge is more than 95 percent complete, and is to be finished late this summer. On the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge, seismic retrofitting of the west span was completed in June 2004; the west approach is 44 percent complete, and the east span Skyway is 71 percent complete and ahead of schedule.
The report is available
on Caltrans’ Web
site at www.dot.ca.gov