** The Office of Outdoor Advertising is part of the Division of Traffic Operations.
The Department regulates the placement of outdoor advertising displays visible from California Highways. The Department performs regular reviews of freeways and highways identified on the National Highway System to enforce outdoor advertising requirements under the Federal Highway Beautification Act and the State's Outdoor Advertising Act.
Our primary headquarters are in Sacramento with auxiliary offices in Los Angeles, and San Bernardino.
Our office continues to review regulations. If there is a particular section that you have a question or comment on, please contact Linda Madden at (916) 654-5327 or email her at Linda_Madden@dot.ca.gov.
The Office of Outdoor Advertising now has a telephone line that is available for questions, inquiries, and any other general questions you may have. Please call (916) 654-6473 and leave a message. We will return your call within 3 business days.
New! Caltrans Earth:
If you cannot locate a specific display, please submit a California Public Records Act request to the Office of Outdoor Advertising. More information can be found in the link below:
MAP-21 Information and Maps:
Outdoor Advertising Updates:
Outdoor Advertising Precedent Decisions:
Outdoor Advertising contact information:
Laws and Regulations:
- ODA Act and Regulations
- Assembly Bill Number 762
- Assembly Bill Number 1449
- Senate Bill Number 315
- Senate Bill Number 1480
- Obtaining License
- Permit Requirements
- Political Signs
- The 1958 Bonus Act
Federal State Agreement:
- ODA Display Permit Application (ODA-0002)
- Outdoor Advertising Operator's License Application
- Permit Transfer
- Permit & License Cancellation
- Business Name & Contact Name Change
- Political Sign Application
- Payment Schedule For Poster Panel Removal (EXHIBIT 7-14)
- ODA Inventory as of June 1, 2013
- California Public Records Request
- Adopt-A-Highway Program
- California Code of Regulations (Refer to: Title 4-Business Regulations, Division 6-Outdoor Advertising)
- Tourist Oriented Directional Signs (TODS)
- Office of Administrative Law Home
- Office of Administrative Hearings
- Right-of-Way Manual - Chapter 7
- Right-of-Way Manual Change 124
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required for all the files associated with this symbol: . Download now!