INTRODUCTION TO CALTRANS
Caltrans plans, designs, constructs, operates and maintains a Transportation System consisting of . . .
- More than 15,400 miles of road
- Over 12,000 bridges and other structures
- Intercity rail passenger services
- A budget of $12.3 Billion in fiscal year 2000/2001
Caltrans covers the entire State of California . . .
- 12 District Offices (Eureka, Redding, Marysville, Oakland, San Luis Obispo, San Diego, Fresno, Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Bishop. Stockton, Santa Ana) - (California Counties/Caltrans Districts Map)
- 27 Maintenance Regions throughout the state
- Headquarters Offices in Sacramento
Caltrans employs . . .
- Over 23,000 employees in 11 different Bargaining Units
- Full-time, part-time, and seasonal employees
- Retired annuitants and Student Assistants and volunteers
Examples of the varied employment opportunities include the following career fields . . .
Clerical and Office Support
Contracting and Procurement
Cooks, on a seasonal basis, for Storm Control Dormitories
Information Technology Professionals
Right of Way Agents