CALTRANS TOLL BRIDGE RETROFIT PROGRAM ADDRESS
The Caltrans District 4 Office is located at 111 Grand Avenue, Oakland, CA 94612. The mailing address is P.O. Box 23660, Oakland, CA 94623-0660. The Toll Bridge Retrofit Duty Senior telephone number is (510) 286-5549, e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org, and the fax number for Contractor's inquiries submittals is (510) 286-4563
1) Are contract cross section sheets available to contractor?
Yes, the cross sections are available at Blue Print Services at (510) 287-5485. Please have contract number available when calling.
2) On Drawing L-1, Fence removal quantities on Drawing Q-2=381m of Barbed Wire fence and 289m of Chain Link fence = 670m, scales 620m. Where is joint of fence types?
Bid the quantity on Engineer's Estimate and not scale. Fence joint at "MO" 13 + 15 LT.
3) On Drawing L-3, is Chain Link fence along L-2 match line an extension of temporary fence from L-2?
No. Chain Link fence on L-2 matches Chain Link fence on L-3.
4) On Drawing C-2, temporary stockpile is called out in legend but not shown. What is location, size & contents?
Drawing C-2 legend reads "TEMPORARY STOCKPILE COVER" and not "TEMPORARY STOCKPILE." Temporary stockpile locations are not shown on plans. A temporary stockpile cover detail is shown on Plans, Sheet C-5.
5) Is the water line to be relocated by others as shown on the utility plan?
The 254 mm raw water is to be relocated by the others.
6) Is testing required during earthwork due to hazardous materials, for example: air monitoring?
Caltrans is requiring the testing in the contract plans, special provisions, and the standard specifications.
7) Mococo Railroad crossing in the specs for maintaining traffic and railroad relations, it states that we cannot use the Railroad Xing for handling construction excavated material. Does this also mean all aggregates/asphalt/pipe products/generally everything required to build this product? Which crossing are you addressing (see attached faxed sheet), crossing #1 or #2? Are bridge tolls to construct this project to be borne by the Contractor? Is there a new railroad crossing across Marina Vista to Mococo Road included with this project?
Yes, it also means all aggregates, asphalt, pipe products, and generally everything required to build this project can not use the railroad crossing at Marina Vista to Mococo Road. The Mococo Crossing referred to is the railroad crossing at Marina Vista Road to Mococo Road (Location #1 on bidder's faxed sheet.) All bridge tolls to construct this project are to be borned by the Contractor. No, new railroad crossing across Marina Vista to Mococo road is included with this project.
8) The cross sections for this project indicate grading work outside the limits indicated on the Layout Plans (Sheets L-1 through L-4). Is this work to be included for this bid?
The cross sections for the project shows grading work in the limits shown on the Layout Plans (Sheets L-1 through L-4) and Contour Grading Plans (Sheets G-1 to G-7.)
9) The plans indicate area's of slag and cinder material excavation but do not indicate anticipated depths of excavation or anticipated quantities. What are the anticipated depths and quantities for slag and cinder materials as shown on the plans?
The anticipated depth is indicated on Construction Details (Sheet C-13.)
10) What is the anticipated quantity for ADL material excavation for this project? Is the entire Roadway Excavation quantity (excluding slag and cinder excavation quantity (excludig slag and cinder excavation) to be assumed to be ADL materials? (Why not Type ADL Excavation item?)
Yes, the entire roadway excavation is assumed to contain ADL material. Roadway excavation was not classified as a type of ADL excavation because the levels of ADL are low enough that special handling of the excavated material is not required.
11) Is it Caltrans' intention for the Contractor to perform air monitoring throughout the entire roadway excavation operation for such minor amounts of ADL materials? What frequency of air monitoring is reasonable to assume for this project?
The contract does not require perimeter air monitoring for aerially deposited lead.
12) On Slag and Cinder Removal, it shows railroad tracks running through those areas, do we need to remove the tracks or tracks remain in place? There is no mention of it in the spec.
The Railroad tracks are to remain in place. Slag and cinder material removal is required only where Excavation is required at the slag and cinder material locations. There is no work on the railroad.
13) In order to abide by the specifications and this limited time allowed for day work to have materials according to the multi-lane charts and Paragraphs 3 & 4 of Page 79 of the Specials. This job turns into a night project when you have to haul all construction materials into or out of the site. Just think of all the lane closures, ramp closures, and dollars.
Please refer to the revised lane closure charts in Addendum No.1, dated May 14, 1999.
14) In Section 13-1, Relations with Railroad Company Paragraph 6, "The Contractor shall not use the Mococo Crossing as a haul road for any movement of construction or excavated materials." We want to take empty trucks across this crossing.
Empty trucks will not be allowed to use the Mococo Crossing except at the beginning of the project during mobilization and at the end of the project during de-mobilization.
15) Typical Cross Section X-1, Rhonc-Poulenc Acc. Road and Mococo Road, shows 1.0m +0.9m from edge of shoulder to Hinge Point. Sheet #93-NSPA77FA Detail B, Narrow roadway embankment installation shows a longer post. Setion 10-1.55 MBGR changes the size of post to 200x200mm. Is it your opinion that all line post on these two locations should be 200mm X200mmX2.01m-2.13m. If so, this will increase the cost of the MBGR.
Yes, Detail B applies. The posts are 200mm X 200mm with minimum length of 2.01m and maximum of 2.13m.