Office of Special Funded Projects (OSFP)
- September 2013 - Sign Specifications.
Effective September 1, 2013, the AASHTO Standard Specifications for Structural Supports for Highway Signs, Luminaires and Traffic Signals, Sixth Edition (LTS-6) constitutes the primary California Department of Transportation design specifications for structural supports for sign structures.
- June 2013 - Revised Seismic Design Criteria.
This is version 1.7 of the Seismic Design Criteria.
- March 2013 - New Memo to Designer 8-8.
This Memo describes the construction of bridge decks for reduced traffic noise.
- December 2012 - Updated OSFP Information and Procedures Guides.
Ten sections of our Information and Procedures Guide have been revised.
- November 2012 - Updated Bridge Design Aids 3-8.
This BDA is for Mechanically Stabilized Earth.
- November 2012 - Updated Memos to Designers.
The following Memos to Designers have been updated. The new Memos and their Implementation Memorandums can be found at the link above. MTD 2-12 - Special Design Earth Retaining Systems Numbering MTD 11-25 - Anchorage Zone Design MTD 11-34 - Hinge Curl MTD 12-1 - Review of Shop Drawings - Steel Structures
- MSEPlus® Earth Retaining System Approved For Use.
The MSEPlus® earth retaining system has been restored to the Qualified Products List.
- June 2012 - New Memo to Designers 20-8.This Memo describes the analysis procedure for Ordinary Bridges that cross faults.
- February 2012 - Shop Drawings for the MSEPlus® Retaining System.A new memorandum has been issued with instructions regarding shop drawings for the MSEPlus retaining system by the SSL company.
- December 2011 - The California Amendments to the AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications have been updated.The updates apply to sections 2 through 6 and 10-13. Please see the 2011 Implementation Memo on the above link for more information.
- September 2011 - Implementation of the 2010 Construction Contract Standards.The implementation date has been set as September 30, 2011.
- August 2011 - Updated P&Q Transmittal Form with Memo to Specification Engineer/Estimator.These documents have been updated and are included in a single spreadsheet.
- July 2011 - New Memorandum for the Design of Earth Retaining Systems This memorandum describes the proper specifications to be used for the design of earth retaining systems.
- July 2011 - Updated Encroachment Permit Information.The encroachment permit procedures for overhead signs, traffic signals, and lighting standards have been updated.
- July 2011 - Updated Standard Drawings.The Standard Drawing "XS" sheets have been updated.
- July 2011 - Memo to Designers 3-7 has been updated.This revised Memo deals with anomalous CIDH piles.
- December 2010 - The Seismic Design Criteria has been updated to Version 1.6.The new version is effective December 15 for all new projects.
- November 2010 - Caltrans Structures Construction Winter Training Material is available.This year's subject is Trenching and Shoring.
- September 2010 - The California Amendments to the AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications have been updated.The updates apply to earth retaining systems, abutments, and underground structures.
- June 2010 - Exception Process for Geotechnical Services Policies and Procedures.This Memo describes the procedure that staff must follow in order to gain approval for deviations from Geotechnical Services policies and procedures.
- April 2010 - New Seismic Design Criteria and design procedures.The new procedures are effective September 30, 2009 for all projects without previous Type Selection approval.
- February 2010 - Revised concrete cover for CIDH piles and drilled shafts.The required concrete cover for CIDH piles and drilled shafts has been revised.
- December 2009 - New and revised Foundations Manuals.Geotechnical Services has issued new and revised manuals dealing with structures foundations.
- July 2009 - Revised policy on design of Type II pile shafts.SDC Section 8.2.4 regarding Type II pile shafts has been modified.
- April 2009 - Seismic design of utility openings.A discussion of issues concerning the seismic design of utility openings has been added to the Current Issues page.
- March 2009 - Caltrans Amendments to the 4th Edition of the LRFD Specifications.The Amendments are now available online.
- February 2009 - Local Seismic Safety Retrofit Program - Structural Technical Issues Fact Sheet.This fact sheet has been updated.
- January 2009 - Implementation of new Bridge Design Specifications.Caltrans has adopted the 4th Edition of the AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications.
- December 2008 - Interim Bridge Design Aids 3-8 has been issued.This interim Bridge Design Aid is used for MSE wall design.
- October 2008 - Local Agency Structure Representative Guidelines manual.This new manual provides guidance for Structure Representatives administering local agency construction contracts on the state right-of-way.
- May 2008 - Memo to Designers 10-20 has been updated.This memo provides updated deck and soffit details for bridges designed using LRFD.
- December 2007 - New instructions for submitting As-Built LOTB sheets.Instructions for submitting As-Built Log of Test Borings as TIFF files with CADD
- October 2007 - Memo to Designers 10-20 is now available.This new memo provides deck and soffit details for bridges designed using LRFD.
- September 2007 - OSFP has a new website. We've updated our website to a new format, and your comments and suggestions are appreciated. Please use the following link to contact us: OSFP Webmaster
- August 2007 - LRFD Information The California Amendments to the LRFD Specifications have been updated. Additional information is available on the new LRFD Information page.
- July 2007 - Geotechnical Services Geotechnical Services has issued a new version of the Soil and Rock Logging, Classification, and Presentation Manual.
- March 2007 - Conversion to English Units New information regarding the transition to English units.
- January 2007 - Availability of steel membersNew Information regarding the availability of steel members.
- October 2006 - Version 1.4 of the Seismic Design Criteria is now available.
- August 2006 - Rebar Spacing in Cast-In-Place Piles Consultants are reminded that CIP piles have specific rebar spacing requirements.
- August 2006 - Column flare designThe required gap between the column flare and the bridge soffit has been changed.
November 2015 -Scour Data Table Effective immediately a Scour Data Table shall be placed on the Foundation Plan for all structures over a waterway. Implementation Memo
March 2014 - AASHTO LRFD 6th Edition Effective March 10, 2014, the 6th edition of the AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications and the corresponding California Amendments are the primary design specifications for bridges and ancillary structures. Implementation Memo CA Amendments to the AASHTO 6th Edition
Statewide Alerts and Other Information.
Engineering Related Information: