Calmentor Program News:
Past Calmentor Program Events:
Thank your for participating in the February 28, 2012 Outreach.
Thank your for participating in the February 15, 2011 Outreach.
Thank your for participating in the October 14, 2009 Outreach. The DES/METS presentation (26 Megabytes) is now on-line for your use.
This is the Sign-In sheet of the event.
About the Calmentor Program
A. Program Overview
Caltrans Division of Engineering Services (DES) supports the Architectural & Engineering (A&E) mentor-protégé program known as “Calmentor.” By partnering with the American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC), the Calmentor Program promotes partnership with the private consulting industry. The Calmentor Program is consistent with the Governor’s Executive Order No. S-11-06 to encourage new businesses, grow existing businesses, and promote small and emerging business contracting with the State of California. Calmentor supports the participation of certified Small Business Enterprise (SBE), Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE), and Disabled Veterans Business Enterprises (DVBE) firms. Voluntary participation in the program is through acceptance and screening of completed applications from mentors and protégés. The DES support of the program is a continued commitment to promote the interests and cause of each established District Calmentor Program. New applicants can apply to a program which is convenient for them.
B. Mission Statement
The mission of the Calmentor Program is to increase the pool of small firms participating in transportation projects by providing them opportunities to network and partner with larger, established firms.
C. Goals and Objectives
- Establish a mentoring Program that pairs small firms with larger, established firms in the same field of expertise.
- Enhance the growth potential of small firms.
- Ensure that both small and large firms have equal opportunities to participate in transportation projects.
- Establish a clear, accessible entry point for small firms that want to do business with Caltrans or other public agencies.
- Develop business relationships that foster new opportunities for both large and small firms.
- Encourage small firms to obtain certification from appropriate agencies.
- Increase the pool of small businesses.
Participants of the Program are Mentors, Protégés, Sponsors, and/or Steering Committee members. Mentors are large, established firms who are typically prime consultants willing to commit time to help small firms achieve their growth potential. Protégés are small firms who are seeking A&E contracts with Caltrans or other public agencies. Caltrans is the program’s primary sponsor whose aim is to facilitate the growth of small firms. Any public or local organization may join to co-sponsor the Program.
E. Program Organization
Steering Committees guide and maintain the Calmentor Program and have the following roles:
- Establishes Program goals and objectives and ensures that they are fulfilled.
- Sets Program policies and procedures.
- Reviews agreements.
- Establishes the grievance protocol.
- Helps resolve disagreements.
- Evaluates Program performance.
- Collects historical information on how the Program is proceeding.
- Serves as an advisory body to Caltrans.
F. Application to the Program
New members are currently being accepted. New applicants can apply to a program which is convenient for them.
- North Region Districts 1,2, 3
- District 4
- Central Region Districts 5, 6 , 9,10
- Southern California Alliance Districts 7 , 8, 12
- District 11