Departmental Energy Conservation Program
Annual Report Update Site
It is done. As of February 2001, all LED signal colors sizes and shapes are ready for you. Performance Specification, State Procurement contracts, and Battery Backup Systems are here!
- Department of General Services Multi-Vendor LED Contracts and performance specifications:
Info Web site:
- LED performance specification
- LED Qualified Products list
- Battery Backup System (BBS) performance specs
- Other related LED data from Caltrans' Electrical Labs
Info Web site:
State funding opportunities:
Contact: Virginia Lew, 916-654-3838
Quick History of Caltrans LED signal upgrade program:
- Early 1990's Caltrans employees in our Fresno District work with California based private sector to develop first usable red LED signal.
- 1993, Caltrans installs largest field test of LED signals in the world at that time. Over 2300 signals are installed. Data collected from that field test help the department to develop departmental LED signal performance specifications.
- 1993 to 2000, Caltrans conducts field studies on the use of battery backup systems (BBS) in conjunction with LED signals. Information gathered is used by the Department to develop performance specifications for BBS applications a Caltrans' signalized intersections.
- 1995, Caltrans wins California Energy Commission State Energy Award for Fresno LED Field Test Project. That same year the US Department of Energy Awards Caltrans its 1995 National Energy Award for the same project.
- 1995 through 1998, Caltrans increases field testing of various LED signal vendors while national LED signal specifications are developed.
- 1998/99, Caltrans constructs QA testing facility for bulk testing LED signals as part of large scale procurement efforts.
- Summer of 1999, Caltrans and Department of General Services Procurement Division establish LED signals on State Contract for use by State and Local governments. Unit prices for product are reduced by over 40% by this large scale procurement effort.
- Summer of 2000, Caltrans has upgraded most red LED and Up Raised Hand Pedestrian signals at State owned signalized intersections.
- Winter of 2000/2001 Caltrans adopts performance standards for all colors and styles of LED traffic and pedestrian LED signals.
- January 2001, Caltrans and Department of General establish Multi-Vendor State Contracts for all styles of LED traffic and pedestrian signals for use by State and Local governments.
Impact of Caltrans LED Signal Upgrade Program:
Upon completion of the Department's LED signal upgrade program Caltrans will have:
- Upgraded over 210,000 signals
- Reduced 24 hours per day baseline connected grid load
from 10.1 Megawatts down to about 0.8 Megawatts, (or a
reduction of about 9.3 megawatts)
- Estimated annual energy consumption savings of 81,571,000
KWH per year.
- At $0.13/KWH, estimated value of those KWH savings is $10,600,000.
For further information regarding the Caltrans LED Retrofit Program, please contact:
Stephen C. Prey, Coordinator
Caltrans Energy Conservation Program
Phone: (916) 324-9467