Clark Paulsen, Division Chief
California Code of Regulations (CCR) Section 599.817 defines training as: "The process whereby state employees, either individually or in groups, participate in a program of instruction (with lesson plan, instructor, or instructional device) to acquire skills and knowledge for their current or future job performance."
The Division of Training administers the policies and procedures associated with training. For detailed information, visit the Division of Training – Office of Learning and Development.
All expenses associated with training are reimbursed in accordance with CCR regulations and the employee's bargaining unit contract. To view reimbursement provisions for training, see the Training Reimbursement and Release Time Chart. Per diem expenses may be authorized for mandated, job required, or job related training if travel is:
- A minimum of 50 miles from an employee's designated headquarters, and
- A minimum of 50 miles from an employee's primary residence.
Information regarding the prepayment of registration fees or tuition fees may be obtained from the Service Payables Branch. Using the contact list, select the individual who is assigned the alpha character associated with the vendor name.
The Division of Design, Office of Professional Development, administers the Professional Licensing Assistance Program. The program maintains specific policies and procedures regarding registering for courses as well as reimbursements.
Travel expense claims require the Office of Professional Development approval before reimbursements will be made.
The Division of Maintenance coordinates and administers META training sessions. Employees with questions should contact the academy at (916) 643-8844.
Reimbursement for per diem expenses while attending mandated, job-required, or job-related training will be made in accordance with the timeframe and allowances set forth in Chapter 3, Reimbursement Allowances, and Chapter 11, Transportation, of the Travel Guide.
Below is a list of reimbursable expenses and conditions required for reimbursement:
|Type of Expense||Condition for Reimbursement|
|META Training Academy|
|Lodging||Not reimbursable, provided by META.|
|Meals and incidentals while at the training academy||Actual meals and incidentals when an employee personally incurs the expense. Meals provided by META are not reimbursable.|
|Transportation||Appropriate transportation expenses from an employee's home to META and return.|
|Weekend Trips Home|
|Meals and incidentals when authorized to travel home for the weekend||Actual meals and incidentals will be reimbursed while on travel status to an employee's home. *|
|Transportation when authorized to travel home for the weekend||Appropriate transportation expenses to return home on the weekend. *|
* Total expenses reimbursed when traveling home for the week-end will not exceed $155.00 round trip. The $155.00 total equals the cost to the State for an attendee to remain at the META training site over the week-end during the travel session.
Reimbursement for all expenses related to training requires submission of a travel expense claim (TEC), Form FA0302.
All TEC's submitted for training expenses must include:
- Original plus one (1) copy of the TEC form.
- Original plus one (1) copy of the receipt.
- Proof of completing and passing the course.
- Training Record Report which must indicate the training completion date. The Training Record Report is located in the Learning
Management System at Staff Central.
- Office of Professional Engineer Development approval, if applicable.
Submit to the Division of Accounting's Travel Payments Section.
Refer to your specific Memorandum of Understanding under “Smoking Cessation” or “Employee Assistance Program” sections for details.
Per the State Controller's Office Payroll Procedure Manual, the following training expense reimbursements are considered reportable and taxable income:
- Reimbursements exceeding $5,250 for undergraduate upward mobility and/or career related training.
- Reimbursements exceeding $5,250 for graduate level courses.
See Tax Withholding and Reporting Requirements for current tax rates.