California Department of Transportation
various images

Clark Paulsen, Division Chief

Safety Footwear and Uniform Replacement Allowance

References: Department of Human Resources, (CalHR) PML 2006-005, Collective Bargaining Agreement Unit 9, 10, 11 and 12

Qualified employees: Bargaining Unit 9 field employees. Supervisory (S09) and Managerial (M09) in field positions, Bargaining Unit 11 field employees. Bargaining Unit 10 employees. Bargaining Unit 12 employees and Supervisory (S12).

* Bargaining Unit 9 and 11 - "Field employees" assigned to "field positions" shall be responsible for purchasing safety footwear if required (and not provided) by the Department. For the purposes of this section, "field employees" are defined as full-time employees assigned to work outside of the office for an average of 25 percent of the time, during the eighteen-month reimbursement period. "Field position" is defined as a position that encompasses work tasks that are performed outside of the office setting on more than an occasional basis. Typically, this includes on-site tasks such as reviewing a contractor's operation, inspecting field conditions or work performed by contractors, field surveying, landscape review, materials testing, construction layout and staking, and maintenance. For Supervisor and Managerial (S09/M09), the employee does not need to be a "registered" engineer.

For the purposes of this section, safety footwear is defined as steel-toed boots or shoes, or a serviceable leather work shoe or boot that complies with the Department's written policy, if any, and which the Department requires to be worn while carrying out the duties of the employee's position.

The State shall reimburse full-time employees for the actual cost of safety footwear not to exceed $100.00 once every 18 months. Eligible employees may be reimbursed for more than one pair of footwear provided the amount does not exceed the maximum reimbursement of $100.00 during any 18-month period.

* Bargaining Unit 10 - The purchase of specific safety or protective footwear, required to be worn, but not provided by the Department shall be eligible for a reimbursement for the actual cost up to $200.00 every two years.

* Bargaining Unit 12 –The State shall provide safety shoes/boots when required by the State.  When the state requires an employee to wear specialized footwear for a specific work activity the state shall provide such footwear.  Safety shoes/boots are those intended to protect the employee from specific types of injury to the ankle, foot or toes.  Safety shoes/boots include those with a steel toe or shank.  Safety shoes/boots provided pursuant to this section are State property and shall be properly fitted and be the responsibility of the employee to maintain.  The State shall be responsible for replacement of safety shoes/boots in the process of normal wear.  State provided safety shoes/boots lost or damaged due to the negligence of the employee shall be replaced by the employee at his/her expense.

Caltrans will reimburse each of its permanent full-time Unit 12 employees, on payroll as of April 1 of each year, eighty-two dollars ($82) or one hundred sixty-four dollars ($164) every two years as an allowance toward purchasing work footwear consistent with Caltrans policy effective July 1, 2014. Prior to July 1, 2014, as of April 1 of each year, fifty dollars ($50) or one hundred dollars ($100) every two years as an allowance toward purchasing work footwear consistent with Caltrans policy. This allowance will be reimbursed to employees within 30 days of submitting a completed Travel Expense Claim with original receipt beginning with the April pay period.  Employees shall wear such footwear at all times on duty.

Supervisors (S12) shall receive the same footwear allowance as represented BU 12 employees.
Note:  Employees are not limited to the month of April to submit a TEC for reimbursement.  Employees may not submit more than one receipt per year.

Uniform Replacement Allowance

When the State requires a uniform to be worn as a condition of employment and does not provide such a uniform, qualifying employees may submit a travel expense claim (TEC) for reimbursement. Reimbursement is based on actual costs substantiated with a receipt for an amount not to exceed $450.00 per year. Employees in Bargaining Units 1, 3, 4, 10, 11, 14, 15, and 21 and non-represented employees affiliated with these Bargaining Units are currently eligible for reimbursement. Claims for such reimbursement shall be paid in full to the employee within ninety (90) days of the submission of the receipt.

Reimbursement Claims

Reimbursement for the uniform replacement allowance and purchase of safety footwear must be requested on a travel expense claim (TEC), Form FA0302.

The travel expense claim must include:

  • The original plus one (1) copy of the claim form.
  • The original plus one (1) copy of the safety footwear or uniform receipt.
  • The signature of the officer approving payment.
  • The signature and title of individual authorizing expenses over $25.00.

< Previous Page   |   Next Page >