California Department of Transportation
various images

Clark Paulsen, Division Chief

Receipt Requirements

References: California Code of Regulations (CCR), Administration, Title 2, Sections 599.615, 599.615.1, 599.625, and 599.625.1, Bargaining Unit Contracts and Department of Human Resources (CalHR) PML 2005-021


Each item of expense of $25.00 or more requires a receipt. Depending upon the nature of the expense, receipts may also be required for items of expense that are less than $25.00. When receipts are not required to substantiate the amounts claimed on the TEC, it is the employee's responsibility to maintain receipts and records of his or her actual expenses for tax purposes.

Reimbursement will be claimed only for actual and necessary expenses. Regardless of the amount claimed, the approving officer may require additional certification and/or explanation in order to determine that an expense was actually and reasonably incurred. In the absence of a satisfactory explanation, the expense will not be allowed.

Third Party Vendors

The policies regarding the use of and reimbursement for third party vendors (such as Priceline, Expedia, etc.) will be strictly enforced. For more information, see Chapter 1, Third Party Vendors.

Required Receipts

In the absence of a receipt, reimbursement will be limited to the non-receipted amounts in the table below. Receipts smaller than 8 ½" x 11" must be taped to a full-size sheet of paper. The original receipt plus one copy are required.

Type of Expense Receipt(s) Required with TEC Criteria
Lodging Yes Itemized receipt indicating paid.
Lodging, Third Party Vendor Yes Itemized receipt from the third party vendor and the lodging establishment. See Third Party Vendors.
Meals, Business Related Yes Explanation required. See Business Related Meals.
Meals, In-State No  
Meals, Out-of-Country Yes If over $24.99. See Out-of-State Travel.
Meals, Out-of-State No  
Meals, Overtime No  
Airfare, In-State Yes When paid by employee.
Airfare, Out-of-State Yes Attach airline receipt or travel agency travel itinerary.
Gas for Rental Car or State Vehicle Yes  
Parking and Road Tolls Yes When cost exceeds $10.00.
Rental Cars Yes When paid by employee.
Taxis, Shuttles, Streetcars, and Local Rapid Transit Yes When cost exceeds $10.00.
Train and Bus Fares, In-State Yes When paid by employee and cost exceeds $24.99.
Train and Bus Fares, Out-of-State Yes Attach train receipt or travel agency travel itinerary.
Business Expenses Yes When over $5.00 Explanation required for all amounts claimed
Conference and Meeting Fees Yes See Chapter 9 Conference/Meeting Fees
Exams, Professional License Fees, and Dues Yes See Examinations. See Licenses and Dues.
Tuition and Training Yes See Training Expenses.

< Previous Page   |  Next Page >