California Department of Transportation
various images

Clark Paulsen, Division Chief

In-State Travel Expense Claim (TEC)

The Travel Expense Claim (TEC), Form FA0302, can also be accessed through the Caltrans Electronic Forms System or ordered from the materials warehouse.

To ensure timely processing of your TEC, all items noted below must be complete before submitting the TEC for reimbursement. Altered or incomplete TEC may be returned to employee or delay reimbursement.

  • The Travel Expense Claim must be completed in ink or typewritten. Do not complete in pencil.
  • Original wet signatures of the claimant and the approving officer must appear on all the pages of the TEC form where indicated. All signatures must be in ink.
  • If a TEC contains multiple pages, indicate page number and total of pages (1 of 2, 1 of 3) on the top right hand corner of the TEC. Column entries should contain subtotals at the bottom of each column and a total amount of the claim on the last page of the TEC.
  • Do not alter the TEC in any way or form. Altered TEC are prohibited by the Department of Human Resources (CalHR) and the State Controller's Office (SCO). An altered TEC is defined as but not limited to:
    • Downloaded and changed to meet individual needs
    • Use of correctional tape, liquid, "white out", to change the total amount, etc.
  • Submit one (1) set of original documents with wet signatures plus one (1) set of copies to the Travel Payments Section. The set should contain Travel Expense Claim Form (FA-0302) and all required supporting receipts for reimbursement. Receipts must be arranged in chronological order and attached to the claim. Small receipts must be taped onto an 81/2" by 11" sheet of paper. Each receipt must have date, amount of expense, and the nature of the expense. See Receipt Requirements.
  • For information on how to complete the TEC form, contact the Travel Information Line at (916) 227-9061.

Travel Expense Claim Form Instructions

Each officer or employee must show his or her headquarters address and primary dwelling address on the TEC. The address should be the physical address of the property; post office box numbers are not allowed. See Chapter 1, Key Definitions.

Represented employees must include their bargaining unit number in the Bargaining Unit and/or Management Designation (BU/MD) field. Non-represented employees are to use:

  • "C" for Confidential,
  • "E" for Exempt,
  • "M" for Management, or
  • "S" for Supervisory.

Column Explanation

The item numbers below correspond to the column or field numbers on the TEC form.

  1. MONTH/YEAR: Enter the month and the last two digits of the year in which the first expenses shown on the form were incurred.

  2. DATE/TIME: Enter the date of departure on the appropriate line. Where the first date shown is a continuation of a trip, enter "Cont." in the time field for that date, and when a trip is continuing beyond the last date shown, enter "Cont." in the time field for the last date.

    State all times in military time based on the 24-hour clock. (Example: 17:00 is 5:00 p.m.). Enter time of departure only on date of departure; enter time of return only on date of return. If departure and return are on the same date, enter departure time above and return time below on the same line.

  3. LOCATION WHERE EXPENSES WERE INCURRED: Enter the name of the city, town, or location where the expenses were incurred. If travel is out-of-state, the name of the state should be included.

  4. LODGING: Enter the cost of lodging for each date included on the TEC. The cost of lodging includes the lodging daily rate, not to exceed the maximum amount authorized by current DPA regulations and bargaining contracts, plus any state and local taxes. See Receipt Requirements.

  5. MEALS: Enter the actual cost of each meal (including business meals) not to exceed the maximum amount for each meal as authorized by current CCR regulations and bargaining contracts. The dinner column is to be used to claim dinner for regular travel, overtime meals, and long-term meal expenses. The purpose of each meal claimed should be stated in column 3, except those claimed as part of per diem expenses. (For example, "Overtime", "Business Related", etc.) See Receipt Requirements.

  6. INCIDENTALS: Enter the total actual cost of incidentals not to exceed the maximum amount authorized by current CCR regulations and bargaining contracts.

  7. TRANSPORTATION: Amounts claimed should be state contract rates (if applicable) or the actual amounts, whichever is less.

    1. COST OF TRANSPORTATION: Enter the cost of transportation. If transportation was paid directly by the State, enter zero (0.) See Receipt Requirements.

    2. TYPE OF TRANSPORTATION USED: Enter method of transportation used. Use:
      • "A" for scheduled commercial airplane.
      • "B" for bus, airporter, light rail, or BART.
      • "BI" for bicycle.
      • "DA" for department owned aircraft.
      • "IL" for in-lieu.
      • "PA" for privately owned aircraft.
      • "PC" for privately owned car, truck, or other privately owned vehicle.
      • "R" for rail.
      • "RA" for rental aircraft.
      • "RC" for rental car.
      • "SC" for state car.
      • "SV" for specially equipped vehicle for the handicapped.
      • "T" for taxi.

        Supervisors will not authorize the use of motorcycles on official state business as per the State Administrative Manual. No reimbursement is allowed for motorcycles.

    3. TOLLS AND PARKING: Enter bridge tolls and parking charges. Use:
    4. PRIVATE CAR USE: Enter the number of miles traveled and amount due for mileage for the use of privately owned automobiles as authorized by DPA regulations and current bargaining contracts.

  8. BUSINESS EXPENSE: Claims for phone calls and faxes over $5.00 require a receipt. Emergency purchases of job related equipment, clothing or supplies require receipts and an explanation. Refer to Business Expenses for specific requirements.

  9. TOTAL EXPENSE FOR DAY: Calculate and enter total expenses for each day of the claim.

  10. SUBTOTALS AND CLAIM TOTAL: Calculate and enter subtotals for each column of the claim. Enter claim total in box provided.

  11. PURPOSE OF TRIP, REMARKS, AND DETAILS: Enter a brief statement of purpose for each trip. Explain the need for travel and any unusual expenses. Enter detail or explanations of items in other columns, if necessary.

  12. NORMAL WORK HOURS: Enter beginning and ending normal work hours using 24-hour clock (Example: 0800 is 8:00 a.m.).

  13. WORK SCHEDULE: Enter alternate work schedule, if applicable (Example: 9/80 Friday A).

  14. PRIVATE VEHICLE LICENSE NUMBER: Enter the license number of the privately owned vehicle used on official state business. To claim reimbursement, an employee must have an "Authorization to Use Privately Owned Vehicle on State Business", Form FA0205A, approved and on file with his or her supervisor.

  15. MILEAGE RATE CLAIMED: Enter the rate of reimbursement claimed for private vehicle use. See Private Vehicle Use for current mileage rates.

  16. CLAIMANT'S SIGNATURE: Signature certifies that the expenses claimed were incurred in accordance with DPA rules. The signature also certifies that the cost of operating the claimant's privately owned vehicle is at or above the rate claimed and that the claimant has met the requirements as prescribed by SAM Sections 0750, 0751, 0752, 0753, and 0754 pertaining to operator requirements, vehicle safety, and seat belt usage. The claimant must sign the claim in ink and date the signature.

  17. SIGNATURE OF OFFICER APPROVING TRAVEL AND PAYMENT: Certifies and authorizes travel and approves expenses as incurred for state business. The officer approving the claim must sign in ink and date the signature.

  18. SIGNATURE AND TITLE OF AUTHORITY FOR BUSINESS EXPENSES EXCEEDING $25.00: The signature of the approving officer is required when:
    • Conference or convention expense under DPA Regulation 599.635 and detailed in SAM Section 0724 is included. An approved Form DO0002, " Request to Attend Non-State Sponsored Conference" will suffice as signature in box 18 when attached to the TEC.
    • A business expense exceeding $25.00 is claimed.
    • Bar dues or professional license fees exceeding $25.00 are claimed.
    • Safety footwear exceeding $25.00 is claimed.
    • Tuition and books exceeding $25.00 are claimed.
    • Any other miscellaneous expense exceeding $25.00 is claimed.

      The officer approving the claim must sign in ink and date the signature.

Cost Coding

Complete and accurate cost coding must be included on each TEC submitted. It is the employee's responsibility to provide the following:

  • Unit
  • Project
  • Phase
  • Reporting
  • Object and Sub-Object.  See Object and Sub-Object Code.
  • Amount: The amount to be charged to each Object Code.
  • Activity and Sub-Activity.

An employee requiring additional information on cost coding should contact his or her supervisor. Additional information is also available in the Advantage Support website and the Cost Coding Crosswalks.


Example of an In-State TEC

An example of an In-state TEC is available by clicking here.

< Previous Page   |  Next Page >