California Department of Transportation
various images

Clark Paulsen, Division Chief

Other Modes of Transportation

References: California Code of Regulations (CCR), Administration, Title 2, Sections 599.626, 599.626.1, 599.627 and 599.627.1, SAM 0730 and 0759, Bargaining Unit Contracts, and PM2015-039.


Reimbursement of transportation expenses will be made only for the method of transportation that is in the best interest of the State, considering both direct expense as well as the employee's time. Some modes of travel that are allowed include travel by bus, shuttle bus, streetcar, local rapid transit, transportation network companies, taxi, and bicycle. Reimbursement for travel by motorcycle is not allowed.

Expenses arising from travel between home or garage and headquarters shall not be allowed, regardless of the employee's normal mode of transportation. When a trip is commenced or terminated at the claimant's home, the distance traveled shall be computed from either his or her headquarters or home, whichever shall result in the lesser distance. For more information, see Private Vehicle Use.


Bus fares are reimbursable when paid by the employee as a result of conducting state business. The employee may file a travel expense claim (TEC) for reimbursement. Receipts are required for any fare of $24.99 or more or when travel is not wholly within the State of California.

See In-State TEC's for additional information on filing a claim.

Shuttle Buses, Streetcars and Local Rapid Transit

Shuttle or hotel buses, streetcars, local rapid transit and other similar forms of transport are often the least expensive mode of transportation between airports, lodging, and job sites.
An employee who has paid fares for shuttle or hotel buses, streetcars, or local rapid transit in the conduct of state business may file a TEC for reimbursement. Receipts are required for each fare over $10.00.
See In-State TEC's for more information on filing a claim.

Transportation network companies

These companies provide prearranged transportation services for compensation using an online-enabled application or platform to connect passengers with drivers using a personal vehicle. Lyft and Uber are examples of transportation network companies.


Taxis should only be used when other forms of public transportation are unavailable. These are generally more expensive than other forms of transportation.

The Department of General Services (DGS) has announced the phase out of the DGS Blue Charge Card program. DGS has established a Customer Account Number (CAN) process that is now used to invoice departments for the various services received from DGS. This process eliminates the need for a Blue Card.

Existing DGS Blue Cards may still be used for taxi cabs in the Sacramento area. The cab drivers use the Blue Card to directly invoice departments for their employee cab fares. These payments are directly paid to the cab companies and are NOT paid by DGS. In order to provide control and prevent fraudulent charges, it is recommended that employees show their department ID badge and provide the six-digit billing code CAN number (first six digits of the Blue Card) to the cab driver to ensure they are a State employee for that department.

Note: Not all taxi companies will accept the card. Before reserving a taxi, the employee should inquire if the company will accept the DGS Charge Card or CAN number.

Employees paying out-of-pocket for taxi service may file a TEC for reimbursement. An explanation for all taxi fares must be included on the TEC and receipts are required for each taxi fare over $10.00.

See In-State TEC's for more information on filing a claim.


When a privately owned bicycle is used in the conduct of official state business, the employee will be allowed to claim four cents ($.04) per mile. Mileage reimbursement for bicycles is classified as fringe benefits and reported as taxable income. Employees may file a TEC for reimbursement.

See In-State TEC's for more information on filing a claim.

Reimbursement for business use of an employee-owned bicycle is reportable and taxable income. For tax rates, see Tax Withholding and Reporting Requirements.


No reimbursement will be allowed for transportation expense when the employee uses a privately-owned motorcycle or motor-driven cycle in the conduct of official state business.

< Previous Page   |  Next Page >