Environmental Management Office (EMO)
Promoting environmental stewardship in transportation projects and creating efficiencies in project delivery by providing policy, guidance, and support.
The Environmental Management Office (EMO) is responsible for developing environmental policy recommendations for the Division of Environmental Analysis (DEA) on a wide variety of issues, including development and maintenance of the Standard Environmental Reference (SER). We work closely with the Headquarters Environmental Coordinators and are the "go to" group for policy and procedure development for National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) environmental documents. We are "advocates" for the Environmental Planners/Generalists in the Districts and serve as the primary environmental contact for California Transportation Commission (CTC) submittals.
EMO works with other Caltrans offices, divisions, and outside agencies to develop innovative approaches to project delivery while safeguarding the environment.
Subject Areas and Products:
- FAST Act Section 1309 CEQA/NEPA Reciprocity Fact Sheet (PDF)
- California Transportation Commission
- Surface Transportation Reauthorization Acts
- Purpose and Need
- Standard Environmental Reference (SER)
- Environmental Document Annotated Outlines
- Forms and Templates Page
- Preliminary Environmental Analysis Report
- Climate Change
- Secondary and Cumulative Impacts
- Section 4(f) - See SER Chapter 1, "Federal Requirements" and SER Chapter 20, "Section 4(f)."
- Chapter 39 - Incorporating Environmental Commitments into Design. This chapter describes required actions so that appropriate Environmental Commitments will be included in the design of both Caltrans' and local agency projects on the State Highway System.
- Volume 4, Community Impact Assessment
- Efficiencies Brochure
- Project Development Process
Jennifer Heichel, Office Chief
Brenda Powell-Jones, Senior Environmental Planner
Encanta Engleby, Senior Environmental Planner
Gregoria Ponce, Senior Environmental Planner
Jennifer Clark, Senior Environmental Planner
Neil Peacock, Senior Environmental Planner
Peter Bond, Senior Environmental Planner
For questions regarding the EMO - Caltrans Division of Environmental Analysis web page, contact the webmaster.