Email Mandy Chu
This office collects and analyzes report statistics related to the fiscal status, physical and geometric extent, performance, and designation of the State's roadway systems. This enables decision makers and system users to take advantage of quality transportation information to make performance-based decisions about transportation services and infrastructure.
What We Do
- Administer public roads functional classification and designation approvals to secure State and federal funding;
- Manage naming of State roadways, structures, and appurtenances;
- Manage urban/rural designations along with Local Agencies;
- Maintain the California Road System (CRS) maps;
- Maintain condition and performance data in the Federally mandated Highway Performance Monitoring System (HPMS)
- Officially certify the annual Maintained Mileage Report of public road mileage for the State;
- Implement Transportation System Performance Measures at the national, state, and regional levels; and
- Maintain the Traffic Accident Surveillance and Analysis System (TASAS) database.
Eric Y. Wong, Chief
Email: Eric Y Wong
Email Branch Staff
HPMS is a federally mandated inventory system and planning tool, designed by FHWA to assess the nation's highway system. Some of our work:
- National Highway System (NHS)
- Interstate System
- Principal Arterials - Rural highways that provide corridor movements having characteristics similar to statewide or interstate travel. Also, Urban roadways that carry a major portion of trips entering and leaving urban areas or roadways the carry the major portion of through movements to bypass the central cities.
- Intermodal Connectors - Highways that provide motor vehicle access between the NHS and major intermodal transportation facilities.
- Strategic Highway Network (STRAHNET) - The network of highways importatnt to US strategic defense.
- STRAHNET Connectors - connectors to major military installations.
- Functional Classification
- CRS Maps Web Maps
- Flowchart to Change Functional Classification
- Example of a Submittal Package
- Blank form for your submittal (Excel Format - .xls)
- FHWA Functional Classification Guidelines (FHWA Website)
- Log of Functional Classification Changes - Received/Approved (Excel Format - .xlsx)
- List of Functional Classification Coordinators (revised 2/9/17 - pdf format)
- Other Applications...
TSN (Transportation System Network) database.
Brian Domsic, Chief
Our team maintains accident data in the TSN database for all collisions on or associated with a State highway facility.