Highway System Information
HSI collects and analyzes report statistics related to the fiscal status, physical and geometric extent, performance, and designation of the State's roadway systems. This enables decision makers and system users to take advantage of quality transportation information to make performance-based decisions about transportation services and infrastructure.
What We Do
- Administer public roads functional classification and designation approvals to secure State and federal funding;
- Manage naming of State roadways, structures, and appurtenances;
- Manage urban/rural designations along with Local Agencies;
- Maintain the California Road System (CRS) maps;
- Maintain condition and performance data in the Federally mandated Highway Performance Monitoring System (HPMS)
- Officially certify the annual Maintained Mileage Report of public road mileage for the State;
- Implement Transportation System Performance Measures at the national, state, and regional levels; and
- Maintain the Traffic Accident Surveillance and Analysis System (TASAS) database.