TABLE OF CONTENTS
LOCAL PROJECT OVERSIGHT ROW ENGINEERING
- Pre-Project Record of Survey
- Construction Survey Control Map
- Base Map
- Appraisal Map
- Section 83 Intent Letters
- Legal Descriptions
- Resolution of Necessity
- Certificate of Sufficiency
- Survey File
- Record Map
- Section 83 Quitclaim Document
- Post-Construction Record of Survey
- As-built Plans
Adobe Reader required for this site. You can download a copy here.
RIGHT OF WAY ENGINEERING
LOCAL PROJECT GUIDELINES
Local Project Oversight
July 31, 2014
This webpage is intended to be a one-stop source of the latest Local Project Oversight (LPO) Guidelines. As of July 1, 2013 the previous version of the guidelines, Right of Way Engineering & Locally Funded Projects (LPAC Booklet CD), is no longer valid for new projects.
Please note that we have chosen to call the updates "Guidelines". Even the most rigid requirements are subject to revision given the right circumstances. Please discuss any potential variation from the guidelines with the LPO Project Surveyor assigned to your project before actually doing the work.
These guidelines go into effect immediately. However, in most cases the updates will NOT be retroactive and will only apply to projects that are started after the effective date. Consultants have the option of staying with the old guidelines or switching to the new ones. As before, coordinate with the LPO Project Surveyor first.
We have no intention of making changes that have a negative impact on existing contracts. However, some of the updates will have an effect on budget and schedule for future projects. Contact the LPO Branch Chief for further information.
RESPONSIBILITIES: CONSULTANT SURVEYOR VS. LOCAL PROJECT OVERSIGHT
The Consultant PLS/RCE in charge is the final authority, and has the responsibility, as to the professional content of the right of way documents. However, the Local Project Oversight Branch is the final authority as to the acceptability of the right of way documents for inclusion in State files.
LOCAL PROJECT OVERSIGHT MISSION STATEMENT
- To provide Quality Assurance by monitoring and reviewing the work of the TAs for conformity to Caltrans procedures and standards, and for compliance with the TA's Quality Assurance/Quality Control program;
- To assist TAs in the appropriate delivery of various right of way mapping products and real property transfer instruments in a form acceptable to the State;
- To review the various right of way engineering documents prepared by the TA and/or its consultant for adequacy in transferring and documenting transfers of real property rights to and from the State.
ReviewTo facilitate timeliness and efficiency, LPO will review only submittals that meet the following criteria:
- Prerequisites are complete and acceptable;
- Submittal is complete and includes all of the supplemental submittal requirements
- Each document has been thoroughly checked by a qualified professional in accordance with the submitter's approved Quality Control Plan; and
- All of the comments from previous reviews have been satisfactorily addressed.
The professional that signs/seals the document is responsible for accuracy and completeness of the document. LPO's acceptance is based on spot-checks that appear to indicate:
- The information shown is correct and corresponds with that shown on corresponding documents.
- The format of the document is acceptable for inclusion in the State records.
QUALITY CONTROL PLAN
Caltrans®, the California Department of Transportation® and the Caltrans logo are registered service marks of the California Department of Transportation and may not be copied, distributed, displayed, reproduced or transmitted in any form without prior written permission from the California Department of Transportation.