Caltrans News Release
Harry Yahata, District Director
June 29, 2001
Contact: Jeff Weiss (510) 286-5543
Caltrans Unveils Major Improvements near
San Mateo- Hayward Bridge Toll Plaza
Motorists can expect major improvements in traffic flow at the San Mateo Bridge toll plaza as of Sunday, July 1, 2000 when Caltrans widens the Highway 92 approach to the bridge and opens a new toll booth. Other changes include relocating the carpool lane to the far left lane and relocating the Fastrak-only lane.
These permanent changes will significantly increase the capacity and efficiency of the toll plaza and its approach. However, Caltrans urges motorists to drive cautiously in the early days following these changes to allow fellow motorists to adjust to the relocation of the carpool lane and FasTrak-only lane.
The following changes will be in effect by 10 AM Sunday morning:
- A three-mile mixed flow lane will be added to the bridge approach beginning at the Calaroga Overcrossing, slightly east of Hesparian Boulevard. Presently, the approach to the bridge provides only two lanes of mixed flow traffic.
- The carpool lane will be extended one mile and shifted from the far right lane to the far left lane. The existing lane begins at Clawiter Road. The new lane will begin at Hesparian Boulevard. (Carpool Hours: 5-10 AM, 3-6 PM Mon.-Fri.)
- A new tollbooth will open on the far right of the toll plaza. The toll plaza will now provide eight toll lanes. The new tollbooth will help facilitate traffic when the new San Mateo Bridge opens at the end of next year.
- The exclusive FasTrak lane will be relocated from the center of the toll plaza (toll booth # 5) to the left side of the toll plaza (tollbooth # 2), adjacent to the new carpool lane.
- All toll lanes will accept FasTrak. One tollbooth will accept FasTrak vehicles only; the remaining seven tollbooths will accept FasTrak or cash.
To implement these changes Catrans will close various lanes and tollbooths on westbound Highway 92 between Hesparian Boulevard and the toll plaza from 8 PM, Saturday June 30 until 10 AM, Sunday morning.